T W E N T Y - O N E

Kassi

"ARES!!" I screamed "Come on buddy! Stay with me"

"HELP!!" I screamed as I ran to my room quickly.

With shaky fingers I managed to grab my phone and dial 9-1-1 before running back to Ares room.

It felt like my life was going in slow motion, my legs felt heavy, and I felt like the room was spinning.

"9-1-1, What's your emergency?" a monotone voice answered from the other line

"Please come quick" I cried out "I think my brother is seizing and I don't know what to do"

I quickly gave the operator our address just as my Grandfather ran in

"What's wrong?" he took one look at Ares and blanched

I ran back to Ares side, careful to roll him on his side.

Thank God I paid attention to my health class.

"Calm down ma'am" the operator said "Paramedics are on route"

"Please hurry" I sobbed

My grandfather started mumbling to himself. I was too distraught to understand his words or what he was saying.

I didn't give a damn what he was saying, I only cared about the well-being of my baby brother at the moment.

His cuckoo delusions could wait 

What felt like hours put was probably only a few minutes, the paramedics arrived.

I ran down the steps in a trance and was probably faster than the Flash at that moment.

"This way" I sobbed as I opened the front door and ran up the stairs.

I heard their thunderous footsteps following behind me on the stairs.

By now, it seemed liked Ares was finished shaking and starting to wake-up

I tried to call his name but it looked like he was still disorientated.

"Is he on any medication?" A third paramedic asked

I shook my head "No, he's a healthy little boy"

He continued to ask me questions as two of the paramedics worked on Ares.

They moved him to a gurney and in less than a minute, we were on our way to the nearby hospital.

I dialed my mom's number but the damn thing sent me to her voicemail again.

"Hey Mom" I started "I don't know if you're getting these or not but I need you to call me back ASAP. Something's happened and I really need you here. Please, call me back"

"Sissy..." a small voice said from the back of the ambulance

I swiveled in my seat and gave him a small smile "Shh... Buddy. We're going to be okay. Rest up, we need to make a pit stop real quick to ask about those dreams you have"

I texted my mother, called her another 25,000 times, and even wrote her a couple emails in the 10 minutes it took us to get to the hospital and get settled into a room.

I was pacing back and forth when a group of Doctor's came in, asked us some questions, and decided to run some tests.

I burst into tears when the test results came back inconclusive and the Doctor told us Ares had to be observed overnight.

I stayed up the whole morning, just watching Ares sleeping and monitoring the stream of nurses that came in and out of his room.

I was exhausted but I couldn't take my eyes off him.

I mean, the old man was here too but I didn't trust him as far as I could throw him. He would be the last person on earth I would leave my brother's care too.

"Go home girl" he said gruffly "I can take care of this"

I shot him a dirty look "Why don't you go home? You're just sitting there doing absolutely nothing. I don't need you and neither does Ares. We can take care of ourselves" I snarled

He sighed and grabbed his coffee cup "I'll be back. You need time to cool off and I need some new coffee"

"Whatever" I turned back to Ares

The door clicked softly behind him, and for the first time since I've been in this god-awful hospital, I relaxed slightly.

That relaxation however, was cut short when the door opened 5 minutes later.

I turned, ready to give the old man another piece of my mind when I paused and saw who was at the door. 

A guy, probably a little older than I was, was standing in the doorway of Ares room. He was tall, way taller than me, with a medium sized built and long shoulder length chestnut hair.

He was staring at Ares with a look I couldn't quite decipher

"Excuse me" I said rudely "Who are you and what are you doing in my brother's room?"

He looked at me and I nearly choked.

His eyes...

The same color as mine...

Something I've never seen on anyone else before, well,  besides my father

My tired brain was trying to make a connection but for some reason, it kept falling short.

"I'm sorry" he spoke, a slight accent mingled his words "I must have the wrong room...I was supposed to be visiting with my sister. Guess the Nurses station mixed up rooms"

I gave him a pained smile "It's okay, it happens sometimes"

  He nodded at Ares and came a little more into the room "Is he going to be okay?"

"I hope so"

"He will be" the stranger promised

I stared at him "Excuse me, but do I know you from somewhere?"

The stranger cleared his throat "No, I just have that kind of face"

I was skeptical because A) I never met anyone else with those eyes, and B) He kind of looked like my dad and a older version of Ares.

Impossible, I know but I couldn't stop the thought from crossing my mind.

After an awkward silence, the stranger excused himself but not before giving me what he was holding.

"Here" he said, holding up a cute little wolf stuffed animal with 'Get Well Soon' embroidered onto is side.

"Oh no" I said in shock "I really can't accept that, besides it's for your sister"

"Don't worry about it. She won't mind" he smiled "I can just go to the gift shop and get another one"

"But..."

He put in on the table next to the door before giving me one last smile and gently closing the door.

Before it shut completely he paused and said "Take care of yourself. You're going to need all the strength you can get"