14

Saturday. June 6, 1987

E.

After Richie and I had our awkward sob fest, we spent the day in our cabin telling each other stories and catching up on what we missed in each other's lives. Maybe there was hope of us becoming friends again.

I wanted to spend some time with other friends, though. So far, camp felt a lot like being back home except instead of my mom, I slept across the room from Richie Tozier.

I left the cabin after lunchtime, having slept in a bit late. I spotted Richie talking to Elle and walked over to ask if they'd seen Bill recently. Elle nodded, saying he was with the younger group with Georgie. I walked towards the center of camp where the kid groups were being chaperoned.

I watched Jonathan struggle to rally a group of kids up for a game of tag and felt bad for him. A few feet away Steve, another camp counselor was smiling charmingly at the kids who listened to him immediately. Is this what my future looks like? Constant humiliation.

I heard someone shout my name, turning to see Georgie running over. He tackled me into a hug and I smiled down at him. I hadn't seen much of him recently since Richie and I began our scheme. It was nice to hear his voice.

Bill snuck up behind him, patting his head then smiling at me anxiously. What's up with him?

"H-hey. Didn't expect to see you out here." Bill was avoiding eye-contact which made me suspicious.

"Well, I haven't spent a lot of time with you this week. I missed you." I confessed, trying to get a reaction out of him. He smiled, looking normal again. There's my best friend.

"M-missed you too." Bill nudged my shoulder. "Le-let's play t-tag."

➳ ➳ ➳

"I've never been so close to a campfire before," Elle announced, curling up against Bev as they shared a blanket. I glanced at Richie who was staring at them enviously. I rolled my eyes. He has no chance. I sat next to Bill, we left Georgie in his cabin after dinner and it was nice to get some time with just Bill. Mike and Ben were sitting across from us, laughing at something Stan said.

Camp curfew was in an hour so most of the kids had already gone back to their cabins but the eight of us were huddled up on logs, watching the fire. Under the supervision of horn-dog Steve and his girlfriend, Nancy, we could practically get away with murder while they sucked face.

"We should play a game." Mike piped up, calming down from his laughing fest. I looked at Richie, watching him smile at Mike's words. Of course he'd be in on this.

"What kind of game?" Stan asked, glancing at Steve and Nancy to make sure they weren't watching. They really weren't.

"Let's play never have I ever." Richie smirked. I felt nervous suddenly. These types of games never did me any good.  I wasn't the only one who looked nervous, though. I took note of Stan who was rubbing the back of his neck with a worried look on his face. 

"H-how d-do we play?" Bill asked. 

"You raise five fingers and name one thing you haven't done, the rest of us put a finger down if we have done it. First one to put all five fingers down, wins." Richie explained. I gulped. I'm going to look like a loser. 

"This seems silly." Bev fiddled her thumbs and Elle rested her head on her shoulder. I thought for a second about Beverly's reputation. I didn't like to think that any of it was true but in reality I didn't know her that well.

"C'mon guys, let's try it." Mike flashed everyone his winner smile. Eventually, everyone was on board and I sighed because it meant I had to be too. 

"I'll go first. Never have I ever been drunk." Mike said. We all stared at each other, crisp sounds of fire in the background. Nobody put their finger down which made me feel a lot better. 

Mike looked to his side, announcing it was Stan's turn now. Stan sighed, thinking for a second before leaning in for everyone to hear. 

"Never have I ever stolen anything." Stan shrugged. Richie and Bev each put a finger down. 

"That was lame, Uris. I'm disappointed." Richie snickered. "Guess it's up to me to spice it up."

"Never have I ever," Richie stroked his imaginary beard. I rolled my eyes. "Pass, I've done everything. You're turn loser." He nudged his head in my direction.

"Fine-" I began before Richie interrupted me.

"Oh I've got it. Never have I ever screwed Eddie's mom!" Richie whooped, raising his hand for a high five that nobody returned. "Put your finger down, babe."

"Fuck off!" I snapped. Just when I thought he was growing on me, he proves himself to be the ass I know he is. 

"Don't be mean to your boyfriend," Elle shook her head. Richie stopped laughing, apologizing. What the fuck. 

"Your turn." Richie skipped me, pointing at Beverly. She sighed.

"Never have I ever been kissed." Beverly shrugged, I looked around and noticed a few surprised looks. I also noticed Stan and Richie put a finger down. Bullshit. No girl would kiss him. I turned, Bill had four fingers up. I widened my eyes at him, slapping his shoulder.

"Who did you kiss?" I screeched. "I've never heard this." 

Bill gulped, stammering for a second, looking around for an answer. I couldn't believe it.

"You don't need to lie." I shook my head, patting him on the back. Stan was staring at us, wide-eyed. I shrugged it off. 

He chuckled. "Y-yeah. You're right. Sorry."

"Anyway," Richie rolled his eyes. "Go, Ben."

"Right, uh-" Ben scratched his nose. "Never have I ever felt safer than I do right now."

We all looked at each other for a few seconds, nodding along. I scanned everyone's face for a moment, watching them smile with orange tints on their skin.  I bumped shoulders with Bill and smiled. It's always been Bill and I but it had to admit, being in a group like this was the best thing ever. 

"We are pretty great aren't we." Stan smiled.

"We're a bunch of losers, you know that right?" Mike said causing everyone to laugh. 

"Yeah but, we're losers together." Beverly said. 

"You guys are great." I said, staring into the fire. 

    ➳ ➳ ➳ 

wow that was the longest so far I think. Hope it didn't suck :) lmk in the comments pls

-kat     9/26/17  @ 12:25 pm