Toil and Trouble: 18

Miranda was not only eager to assume charge of our find; she was electrified.

Jay and I proceeded directly to her domain once we reached Home. She is the head of our Magickal Beasts division, and presides over extensive premises in the east wing. We found her in the veterinary department, tending to the damaged wing of a black bird with an unusually long, blue beak. 'Can it wait just a second?' she said when we went in, without looking up.

'One or two, but not more.' I didn't say that lightly. Our puppy had abandoned its attempts to eat my fingers almost the moment we had stepped out of the ruined cottage, and over the journey home it had seemed to lose all energy. It (or she, I think) now lay inert in my palm, worryingly lifeless.

'Right.' Miranda gently returned her bird to a large cage near the back of the room, and set it carefully atop a padded perch inside. Then she bustled back to us. She'd had a long day of it herself, by her appearance: her white coat was streaked with bird poop, some kind of animal feed and who-knew-what-else, and her blonde hair had mostly fallen out of its usually neat ponytail. She looked tired and shadow-eyed.

I held out the puppy to her. 'Starving to death. Please help.'

Miranda took my puppy, handling her very gently. She said nothing for several seconds, examining the creature with great care. Her eyes grew rather wide. 'Ves,' she whispered at last, her voice emerging as a croak. 'Where did you find this?'

I told her.

'Hnngh,' she said, and swallowed. 'Er.'

'What?'

'This is a...' she began, then stopped. 'I mean, it can't be, but it is.'

'Not making sense,' I offered helpfully.

Miranda shook her head, disbelieving. 'It's a dappledok puppy. They're extinct.'

'What?'

'Dead as dodos. The last known sighting of a live one was recorded in a letter in, like, the late seventeen hundreds.'

I stared. 'Oh.'

'So!' she said. 'I'll be off moving heaven and earth to save this one's life, and later we'll talk more about where you got it. Okay?' Without waiting for an answer, she charged off, taking my tiny puppy with her.

I looked at Jay. 'You've a talent for stumbling over long-lost things, it seems.'

His smile flickered. 'We still have to figure out what to do with the last one.'

I gave a long, long sigh at that, and said: 'I'm pretty sure I know exactly what will become of poor Bill.'

Baron Alban arrived bright and early the next morning. Too bright and early. I had no idea how he had managed to receive Milady's summons and act upon them so fast, but I supposed he must have a Waymaster at his disposal. If he wasn't one himself.

Having developed a more than passing acquaintance with the Baron by that time, I was prepared for his probable promptness, and so he found me awake, dressed and intent upon the consumption of my second cup of tea. I was only slightly droopy, and gazed at him with bleary-eyed alertness as he wandered into my usual nook in the first floor common room.

'Ves,' he said with his broad, charming smile. 'You look like you fell under a ceiling.'

I gave him my most withering look, and swallowed a great deal more tea. 'You usually manage to be more complimentary.'

'You look gorgeous. Bruises suit you.'

I waved him to a chair, ignoring that. He looked as well turned-out as ever in a dark blue suit and white shirt, his purple tie elaborately knotted. 'Please take care of Bill,' I implored him.