16) Conversations & Decisions

I went into the house to find everyone has retired for the night so I decided to go to bed too. But on my way, I found the study light on and the new servant holding a tray.

I walked to her, "Palma!"

The poor girl was frightened that she almost dropped the tray.

I smiled sheepishly, "Sorry, I didn't mean to frighten you"

She took a deep breath, "It is fine, ma'am"

I pointed at the study, "who is in there?"

"Mr Denton, ma'am," she replied politely.

I frowned, "does he always stay that late?"

She nodded, "Often, ma'am, yes"

"Go in there," said the voice in my head. I should really check if it is normal to hear it a lot.

Of course, not

"Come on, you want to"

"Excuse me, ma'am"

I looked at Palma and found her staring at me, "Yes"

"May I go, now?" She asked.

I bit my lower lip, "actually, give me the tray and go to sleep"

The girl looked at me in shock, "excuse me, ma'am?"

"Give me the tray and go to sleep. I will give Mr. Denton his tea," I said with impatience because I did not want to change my mind.

After a few moments, she realized what I said, gave me the tray, curtsied and left.

I took a deep breath then, knocked on the door

"Come in," came his sleepy voice from inside.

I could feel my breath caught in my throat. I swallowed hard and opened the door to find the messiest room that I have ever seen in my life. Papers were all over his desk and many piles of folders on the floor.

I put the cup on the only empty spot on the desk, he did not raise his head to see who brought him the tea so he murmured, "thank you, Palma"

I smiled and thought for a second. I could do the right thing and leave or I could do the wrong thing and sit down

Why does the wrong thing feel so good?

He still didn't raise his head when I sat down, "what is the matter, Palma?"

I smiled, raised my eyebrow and I waited for him to raise his head.

"What is the...," He raised his head then stared.

He stared again and again and again.

"Amelia!" He finally said.

My smile widened, "Good evening"

He started blinking fast, "What... What are you doing here?"

"While going upstairs, I found the light on so I decided to intrude on you, do you mind?"

"No... No... Of course not," then, he looked around and his cheeks reddened, "I am sorry it is a little messy"

I raised an eyebrow and smirked, "A little?"

His cheeks reddened more so I said, "it is fine, Edward"

An awkward silence dominated the situation until I decided to break it, "I have a great idea. I will go get a book then I will come here and read until you finish your tea then I will stop intruding on you"