Depressed!Nerdy!Kid!Reader x Kid!Ed

You sigh as you sit under a tree on the playground, watching the other kids run around and scream and enjoy themselves. You bring your knees up to your chest as you crack open and book and begin to read.

This was the norm for you. You never really managed to make much of any friends, because you were so quiet and just preferred to let your mind wander to far away lands where a princess is locked up in a tower.

You tend to get so engulfed in your reading that you don't even notice the other kids.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Dude, what's wrong with her?"

"I hear she's a witch in training."

"What else could she possibly be studying all the time?"

"She's such a nerd."

"What's wrong with her?"

"I like her." One specific blonde perked up, a wide grin on his face.

"Brother..!" Al exclaimed, hastily grabbing the elder's arm.

"Don't worry so much." Ed grinned back at the skiddish boy. "I got it."

"What did you just say?" A group of kids surrounded the two boys, glaring daggers at them.

"I think she's really cute." Ed said with a quick glance to the girl sitting against the large tree. "I mean seriously, what's so strange about hating to play?"

"Uh.." The "leader" of the group started. "Everything!"

"I can't help that you're all brainless imbeciles," ((yes, he used a big word on purpose)) he grinned, "but we'll be on our way now." Ed grabbed Al's shaky hand and went to walk around the crowd.

The Leader stopped them by stapling in front of them, blocking their path. "If you want to admire her so much, then you can be treated like her, too!" A devilish grin appeared on his face. "Get him boys!"

"B-brother!" Al yelled, terrified at this point.

"Don't worry, Al." Ed said, watching the mob closely. "I'll handle it."

~~~~~~~~~~~

At all the commotion, you peered above your book to see what all the havoc was. Upon seeing a group of boys gathering in a circle, you roll your eyes and continue reading, unaware of the fight.

~~~~~~~~~~

Punch after punch, Ed just kept getting up. He would tackle one of them, punch their living daylights out, get shoved off by another boy. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Eventually, a teacher had noticed and began walking over to see what was going on. The kid currently ontop of Ed threw one last punch across the blonde's face before everyone scrambled away.

"B-brother? Are you okay?" Al asked, getting on his knees.

"Y-yeah, I'm fine." Ed smiled up at the sky. He then held his hand out to Al, who hoised him up.

~~~~~~~~~

"Hey there." You hear a male's voice say.

"What?" You asked rather coldly, expecting to get some kind of ridicule or beating.

"Uhm... Whatcha readin?" The voice asks, and you look up in confusion.

Once you did, you immediately saw two blonde boys standing side by side, one of them giving you a closed eye smile while the other had a look of concern for the other.

On the smiling boys face was a bloody nose, a swollen eye, blood running his chin, and bruises all the way around his face and exposed parts of his body.

"Uh... 'Rapunzel'." You give the title of your book. "Are... Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." He says, extending his hand with a sheepish laugh. "My names Edward Eric, but you can just call me Ed. This is my baby brother, Al."

"[Y/n]." You giggle and scoot over, patting the ground next to you. "Why is your face all.. Beaten up?"

"Brother got into a fight with the others when they were making fun of you." Al said without thinking.

Before Ed could respond, your face turns a bright share of red, and tears begin to pool at your eyes.

Ed notices immediately.

"Oh, I'm s-sorry, are you alright!?" Ed asked franticly, sitting next to you and wrapping his arms around you tightly.

"I-I'm fine." You sniffle. "Nobody's ever done that before."

"I did." Ed smiled at you and wiped away your tear. "Come home with me after school! I bet Granny would love to meet you!" He exclaimed with a huge smile on his face.

"U-uhm.. Sure." You smile back. "I can't wait."

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not sure if this is how you imagined it, but here it is! Lemme know whatcha think!