Cassie Casden Pt1

Derek placed the beanie over the bag of potataoes and wrapped it in a scarf. He picked it up and giggled, placing it in the stroller.

"Derek!" Freddie yelled from the front door. "Come on and eat your breakfast! You're up next in the shower!"

"I wanna play for a while!" Derek protested. "Can you ask Carly if she'll get in the stroller?"

"The last time you asked Carly to play, you were locked in the basement for half a day," Freddie replied.

"That was on purpose. We were playing Loser Goes to Gitmo."

"Lets go!" Freddie sighed. "And put that stroller back in the garbage!"

Derek rolled his eyes at his brother. All he wanted to do was play family. He loved playing family; he could pretend to have the happy family that he always wanted. He dumped the stroller to the side and stomped up the stairs.

Inside, Lil was trying to fix the water heater in the wall.

"O, man. Yep, that's dead," Lil said.

"You sure?" Freddie sighed.

"Yep. The element's rusted out.

"Anyone wanna make some cookies with me?" Derek asked. Everyone ignored him.

"How much to replace it?" Freddie asked Lil.

"Uh... two bills used, four new."

"Shit." Freddie swore.

"How about pie?" Derek went on, "I can get started on the crust."

"Go take a shower," Freddie told him.

"I. Wanna. Make. Pie!" Derek protested, getting the ingredients out of the cabinets.

"You know what? Hand me the obits," Lil said to Freddie. Lil had always been good at repairing things, she understood electricity and mechanics like no one else in the house. "Maybe we can scavenge a dead person's water heater." Freddie handed her the paper. "Oh, Mrs Dembrowski.

"Oh, the shaky-neck lady?" Said Isla, "I though she drowned a couple years ago."

"No," Derek said. "Mrs Goga had the shaky neck and she drowned in her own vomit last Easter."

"No pie!" Freddie said when he saw the ingredients out. "Get in the shower, I'm not saying it again!" Freddie took the action figure that Carly was trying to burn off her. "Carly, no!" I went to school with Kelly Dembrowski. I think she had a rush on me" He said to Lil.

"We gotta go," Lil said to Isla as she checked her watch.

"Can I come?" Derek asked. 

"Uh...no."

"Derek, what is going on with you?" Freddie asked him.

"...nothing," Derek replied.

"Carly, shower after Derek," said Freddie. "Towel and robe upstairs.

Derek stood in the kitchen alone has Freddie went upstairs to change Lacey's diaper, and Carly rushed to beat Derek to the shower.

...

At the Jackson residence, Franc came out of the shower and put on the clothes that Sean had laid out for her. She opened the bedroom window and looked at the birthday party that was going on down the street.

"Beautiful day for a party!" She yelled out.

"It's for kids, Franc!" Someone yelled. "No booze!"