Chapter 3 - Your mate isn't a waffle

Alexandria

I stumbled backwards terrified with no help from my wolf as she whimpered with her tail in between her legs. My back hit the wall as I kept my eyes on the sexiest man alive. No matter how much I wanted to eat him up I was also hyperventilating from fear.

He was a stranger. He could be a big bad man. He could hurt us.

Tears stung my eyes and before I knew it Brandon was in front of me pulling me into a hug but I could not take my eyes off of him. My emotions were playing tug of war with me, pulling me to fear and lust. I couldn't even tell what he was thinking as he watched me break down in tears in my Alphas arms.

I knew my pack felt helpless for their young little survivor. No matter how old I got they always looked at me as the child stumbling back home from years of being tortured.

I was now on Brendon's lap not looking at my...my mate anymore.

He was my mate.

I had a mate.

I should be happy but him being a soon to be Alpha made me sad. I could never be his I was too damaged.

The room seemed silent and I could sense only seven people in the room now. My mate was here with his father, my mate's pack were in the background, Brendon was holding me and Ashely stood with my mate and his father. Brendon probably told everyone by mind link to leave and they all probably knew it was for the better. Moon Gods I love my pack.

"Shh Alexa all will be fine," Brendon cooed rocking me back and forth like a child, "at least you now know your mate isn't a waffle."

My tears now stopped leaving me with hiccups I look up to my cousin giving him a weak smile before whispering, "he is better. He is a waffle covered in syrup and smells like one too."

My wolf agreed with me but still afraid as I looked back to the direction of my mate. He was closer now but his father's hand stopped him from getting closer now. His eyes showed so much sadness but I knew he heard me when I complimented him in my own unique way. I hope he doesn't think I am rejecting him. It's the last thing I want.

My wolf, on the other hand, wanted to. She wanted so badly to run away from him. She wanted to run away from the unknown and into the safety of the familiar.

I won't let her win!

I pat Brandon on his hand letting him know I was alright as I slowly and shakily got up from his lap using Brandon as leverage.

Flashes of bad memories flooded my thoughts but I just pushed them out knowing it was my wolf trying to tell me that would happen again if we trust our mate. She was too scared to see right so it was up to me to be the stronger one.

Letting go of Brendon I stumbled to my mate stopping in front of him yearning to touch him. His father and Ashely stepped aside watching us like hawks ready to step in if I had another episode. I was too determined to stay strong for my mate though. I might have slipped up back there but this time I wasn't going to cower.

"I'm not w-weak," I whisper to myself. My mother's words bring me comfort, 'you are strong Alexandria. Stronger than I'll ever be.'

I slowly look up to my mate as he watched my green eyes waiting for me to speak again like he was too afraid to say the wrong thing. "You smell like waffles and campfires," I mustered up the best smile I could for him.

"Waffles?"

His voice was so deep and delicious I couldn't help but add, "your voice sounds like syrup on the waffles."