24

I walk into a restaurant twenty minutes later than I was supposed to and I see Jennifer walking towards me. "Hi, baby. Sorry I got caught up in something..." I say and put one hand on her waist while I kiss her lips. "Actually I-" she pauses and puts her hands around my shoulders, "I'm sorry for the surprise but uh- Aaron is here. He caught me leaving and wanted to come..." she says and bites her lip nervously. I look over her shoulder and see Aaron sitting in the booth, just looking at me. "No problem..." I say and put my hand on Jennifer's neck, kissing her again. Maybe I'm a little territorial?

We sit down in the booth and Jennifer sits beside me and puts her hand on my leg, "Aaron, how are you?" I ask and he sighs, "Good, actually. How are you?" "I'm great." I say and take a sip of my water. We make small talk for a few minutes, then Aaron starts getting into the good stuff.

"I know you mentioned that you are moving, Jen... where to?" He asks. "Um, into the city. Only an hour from where we are now." Jennifer says happily. "You're going to make that drive to work every day? What about when the baby is here?" He asks. Here we go... "It isn't that far, and I'm sure she'll take time off after the baby arrives." I say and shrug. "I take it that the relocation is because of you?" He asks, being a little bit smart. "Because of my job, yes." I say and smile at him. "Leah, I wanna know what you're thinking in all of this..." he says and sits back, folding his arms over his chest. "In all of what?" "Jennifer being pregnant." "I mean, it is what it is. She's pregnant, Aaron." I laugh and look at Jennifer. "You're just going to raise a baby that isn't even yours?" He asks, raising his brows. "Hey-" Jennifer starts to speak but I stop her. "No, it's fine." I say and look at Aaron again. "I'm going to do whatever it takes to make Jennifer happy. Regardless of what it is, I'll do it. I know you may not particularly 'like' this whole situation, but Aaron I'm not here to step on your toes or try to steal away your spotlight as daddy to the kid.. I'm here because I love this woman and everything that may or may not come with her." I say and he stays quiet and nods his head. "Excuse me." He says and gets up and walks to the restroom.

I look at Jennifer and she smiles. "You handled that well." She says. "Why aren't you wearing your ring?" I snap and keep a straight face. I don't even need to look down at her hand to know it's not on her finger. I feel it on my leg, there is nothing there. "I just-" "Are you embarrassed? Having second thoughts?" I laugh, annoyed, and she shakes her head quickly and grabs my hand. "Baby, no... I just- I didn't want to upset Aaron. You know how he is..." "Jennifer, no. I've always been super understanding about all of this shit, but hiding the fact that we're engaged from your baby daddy just so his feelings aren't hurt? No, I can't." I say and shake my head. Jennifer touches her hand and looks down.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know it-" "Stop." I say and sigh. Aaron comes back and sits down and we continue this terribly awkward meal. At this point I'm frustrated and ready to leave.

"Check, please!" I say to the waiter as he goes by. Jennifer glances at me and I hear her sigh, "Aaron I need to tell you something." She says. "Leah and I are engaged." She continues and pulls the ring out and slides it back on her finger. I look at her and then at Aaron. "What?" "We're gonna get married." She says and I see her look at me from the corner of my eye. Aaron stares at us both and then shakes his head.

"You cheated on me with her, left me for her, and now you're marrying her... and on top of all this you're going to raise our baby with her?" He asks. I try not to laugh, but I smile a little, "before you even start with the cheating thing... let's rewind a few years to when you screwed her when I was out of town." I remind him. "Leah!" Jennifer hisses. I shrug and Aaron shakes his head, "I have no say in this?!" He asks, clearly frustrated with all of this new information. "No, Aaron! You don't! Why would you? The only part of this you have a say in is your kid's life.. other than that it's my business." Jennifer retorts. "Alright, fine. I have to go. Take the rest of the day off, please." He says to Jennifer and gets up to leave.

"He just dismisses you every time he gets mad. He needs to grow up and learn how to deal with things." I mutter and Jennifer sighs and puts her head down. I feel kind of bad for snapping at her earlier. "I love you." I whisper and rub her back softly. She looks at me and I smile at her, "can I have a kiss? Please?" I tease and she sits up and grabs my chin and kisses me. "I think I'm gonna go back to the office and make him face me. We still on for dinner with my mom tonight?" Jennifer asks me. I nod my head and she slides out of the booth and adjusts her dress. "I'll see you when I get back. Be careful." She says and kisses my cheek before walking out to her car.