MONSTER

Keagan

I looked over at the boy sitting next to me, his eyes glossed over from the tears that were bound to come spilling out any second. He was covering his big green eyes with his messy brown hair, and shielding his quivering lip with his oversized sleeve covered hand. I didn't feel anything though; he was just another person I slept with and mooched off of for a few months.

"So, you're serious Keagan? We're done; just like that?" I nodded my head in response, a little shocked and annoyed that this was taking him so long to process. "So what am I supposed to do?"

"I don't know." I groaned. "Go to a bar tonight, tell some mildly attractive man that your ex-friends-with-benefits was a total douche and 'broke up' with you after your summer fling. I told you from the start how this was going to be, it's not my fault you had the idea you could change my mind."

I could see the tears actually welling up in his eyes now, but nothing I said was a lie. I never put a title on us, I never asked him to be my boyfriend, and I told him from the start once school started back up we were done. Honestly I just needed him for a house to stay at during the summer months.

"I think you should go..." He whispered, and I complied gladly. He was kind enough to let me grab my bag from out of the back of his car before pulling out of his parking spot. "I really hope you find someone who does something like this to you Keagan. I really do."

I smile slightly, knowing there is no chance in hell that I would ever be that stupid but nod again.

"If it helps, I know you'll find someone great, I'm just that stepping stone you had to get through in order to find it." I say, knowing that I'm right. He was a great guy, generous, kind, and great in bed. Someone would love him one day, but to be honest, this wasn't the first time I've used that line.

"You will too Keagan, you know you're not the monster you claim to be." I roll my eyes and sigh. I say one sweet thing and they're back craving more.

"I'll see you around Derek, have a nice life." And with that I turn away and head into the university behind me.

Derek and I had known each other most of our lives, so it wasn't that hard to get him to come pick me up and take me away from this hell hole for the summer. Albeit, I had a car and could have driven myself back home very easily and made this whole ordeal a lot easier on everyone, but who knows if he would have let me stay with him?

I couldn't very well stay with my parents, so I had to find a friend. And what easier way to get free housing than to play the 'I'm too poor to do anything' card. Which wasn't completely true clearly, but I wasn't rolling in dough at the same time. I just had enough to get me by until I land a job after college.

So I guess it's all just a matter of priorities.

As I walked into the dorm buildings I saw my absolute favorite person sitting behind the advisory desk. She was about 5 foot 6, dark skinned, a little thicker around the middle, and had enough sass to fill an entire stadium with.

"Joyce!" I shouted as I ran to the middle aged woman. "How's big momma doing after her break."

"Oh baby let me tell you," she began with a heart filled laugh. "My break was good. Me and big papa got our vacation on, went back home to Jamaica and did all the illegal things I know you kids do in your rooms baby. How are you?"

I smiled and took off my sunglasses, quickly hanging them from the front of my shirt and shrugged. "You know, I'm alright, I just missed your beautiful face. Now tell me some good news, did you manage to score me a room to myself this term?"

She pouted a little before grinning again. "You know big momma can't to that darling, but she did manage to score you one with a boy she thinks you'll like."

"Did you really pick him out specifically for me? Or are you just saying that."

"Keagan Bradley!" She gasped using my full name. "I'm hurt you would even think that!"

I smirked slightly before leaning over the counter and kissing her cheek. "Fine fine, just hand over the key and I'll let you know how it goes."

She gave me a toothy grin before handing over the key to my dorm. "Be careful with him, he's a little skittish." She warned. "Don't break this precious boy's heart."

I rolled my eyes for the umpteenth time before nodding in agreement. "I'll try my hardest not to let my charm go to his head." I shot her a quick wink and turned on my heels to go.

"I'm serious baby! He could do you some good!" I waved my hand dismissively at that, barely hearing the things she mumbled behind my back as I made my way to my old dorm room.

My last roommate had graduated last year. Thank God. Not that he was bad or annoying, he just wasn't gay, so he was clearly no fun, but now... Now was a whole new year with a whole new chance with someone who I assume is going to be a freshman. I myself am only a sophomore, but still. I've been here way too long already with no clear end in site.

The dorm was exactly how I left it though, minus the few house keeping details the janitors did over break. All I had was what was in the bag on my shoulder, the one picture on my end table, and the laptop stowed away in said end table. I didn't need much clearly. Especially not in college, and I'm hoping that the new kid doesn't bring much either. The last thing this already cramped room needs is unnecessary stuff.

I sighed as I threw my bag into the corner and myself on the bed. Today pretty much went exactly as planned and school didn't really start for another two days. We had a two day grace period to get situated and moved in before they pile on the work load. One day to move into your dorm, the next to go get your books and shit together. I guess it was nice, and made things flow a lot easier, but whatever.

As I was finally starting to relax I heard the door bell jingle a bit before opening. I sighed and sat up as quickly as my body would let me and held back a groan as an army of people invaded my home.

I couldn't really tell who was in college and who was just coming to help with the one suitcase and backpack said college child had. I tried clearing my throat but no one noticed I was there through all their 'loving' commotion.

So I just bit my lip and sat back and watched, trying to figure out who was who and gauge when the racket was going to stop.

"Mom, Mom stop!" The girl in the litter finally shrieked. "Let him go! He's a big boy now." I nearly fell off my bed as I tried to contain my laughter, a momma's boy. How cute.

"She's right honey, we should probably go, and let our little man get settled in." I couldn't see who that voice came from, but I can only imagine it was his father. Though I could see that the mother wanted so badly to protest, she didn't. She just hugged the boy who was in her arms tighter and kissed his forehead.

"Write me all the time okay, I'll see you soon baby." And with that, everyone left, finally revealing the short, flippy haired boy with glasses half the size of his face to me. He was definitely cute, so I definitely need to stop and see Joyce sometime in the near future, but I could tell that he was a complete rack of nerves now that his family was gone.

"Hey." I said, not too loudly, but clearly loud enough to startle the boy. "Oh shit, are you okay?" He looked up at me as I stood before him, completely doe eyed as I took a step towards him.

"Uh... Yeah... Hi, I'm uh, sorry about all of them... I didn't even notice you were in here." He mumbled.

"It's cool, no worries. I'm Keagan, and I guess we're going to be roommates." I chuckled, trying hard to lighten the mood for the poor boy. I might be an ass, but I'm not completely heartless.

"Jamison." He muttered. "So... This is my bed?" I nodded and watched as he placed his backpack down.

"Yeah, well... I'm going to take a nap while you unpack and do your thing." I said before throwing myself back down on my bed.

"Oh... You're not going to unpack?"

I shook my head and smiled. "Nah, not today. We have two days to do it, and I'm not in any rush to get a single thing done."