Chapter 12 - Jealousy

Hey guys! Thanks for reading. I hope you enjoy this chapter. If you did, then please vote and comment :)

For those of you who are interested, my Instagram handle is: Genniebyrd 
Feel free to follow if you want :)

Love,
Gennie xx

CHAPTER 12

I was beginning to believe that I really was bringing bad luck on this ship. Everything that could possibly go bad had happened, and I'd only been there just over a week.

I was trying my best to make my way down the rope ladder from the crow's nest, but the height was terrifying for me, and Leonardo wasn't half as patient with me as he was when we were going up.

The ship rose up over a huge wave, and my hands slipped from the wet rope as it crashed back down, leaving me fall the final few feet, straight on top of Leonardo. A gush of cold salty water threw itself from the waves into our faces and we spluttered the assaulting taste out of our mouths.

"What do we do?" I yelled, trying to brush the wet hair from my face.

"There's nothing we can do," Kelly replied. "We're at the mercy of the sea now."

"Can't your pet ghost help?!"

A bolt of lightning struck the water a few yards away from the ship and Kelly just chuckled. "Try and get some sleep, the storm will be over tomorrow."

"Are you fucking serious?" I demanded, also deciding that it may be time for me to get up off Leonardo.

He groaned in pain as I climbed off him.

"What good will it do any of us to just stand around worrying?" Kelly said. "There's nothing more that we can do except wait and see."

"That doesn't mean that we can just go to sleep without a care in the world, other than the fact that we may be living our final few hours!"

"Have a few tankards of grog. The boys have brought extra barrels up to help get them through the storm." Kelly wandered off again back to his cabin, leaving Leonardo and I on the deck, soaked through to the bone.

The rapid swaying of the ship was making my stomach turn, and I could begin to feel the vomit rise up from the pit of my stomach to my throat. I darted towards the side of the ship, arriving just in time for the sick to explode out of my mouth and into the wild water below.

This was not how I had expected to live out my last few hours.

**********

Five days had passed since the storm. It sent us slightly off track, but we were due to arrive at Italy early the following morning, according to Kelly, who had also insisted that I meet him in his cabin right away.

I didn't know what he wanted, but he looked so desperate that I felt I had to go and see what was wrong.

I knocked on his cabin door and entered to find him sitting at his desk, polishing a shiny hook that he seemed to have somehow fitted to the stump at the end of his arm as a replacement for his hand.

He looked up as the door creaked open and immediately stood up to his great height. "Oh, hello Bessie," he said somewhat awkwardly. "How are you today?"

"I'm okay I guess," I replied, studying with peculiarity the hook. Was he going mad? "How are you?"

He put down the cloth and stepped closer to me. "Bessie... there's something I need to tell you."