9 - The Beautiful Bride

I couldn't see clearly. It was like I had been rendered blind. All I could see was darkness. I didn't know how far I was under the ground. Time was useless. I screamed for someone to turn the lights on, yet it felt like the screams were stuck in my throat. My hands shook so hard from fear that it felt like jelly. I tried to reach my fingertips out, desperate to feel something but the empty, stale air.

The lights flashed back on.

It took a second for my eyes to adjust. When it did, my jaw went slack and my heart leaped. Standing in front of me was my parents and Flora. She was clutching Father's leg. He was tall and handsome, wearing a charcoal suit with a matching black bowtie. His thinning hair was gelled back into a gentlemanly butch. He held a card made of gold and one white rose in his hands but his blue eyes were dull and lifeless.

Mother was dressed in a red gown. Her blonde hair was brushed back and curled into something of a princess. Her lips were a deep shade of red. The pink rings around her eyes from years of doing drugs was gone. In place remained flawless tan skin that contrasted deeply with twinkling blue eyes. There were things out of place though, the tiniest things like the lone tear that fell from her eye and the small bite mark on her neck that gave the whole scene a paranoid feel. She looked beautiful, but it seemed terrible. A beauty that wasn't meant to be. I couldn't out my finger on it.

Flora was in a pink dress and held a basket of loose rose petals in her hand. In the middle of the basket, nestled gently into the pastel colors was a sharp knife. When I looked closer, I saw that the tip was colored with the slightest hint of blood. She wasn't smiling either, and stared as if I were a stranger.

"Oh, Victoria...." Mother whispered softly. Her voice sounded far away and distant. It was deeper than I expected. My heart yearned to run into my parents arms and cry, if I hadn't been so frightened. She smiled at me, but it was cold and lifeless. It didn't reach her eyes. "You look beautiful," she said.

It was then I realized what I was wearing. My body was stuck in a wedding gown, I thought with horror. It was old-fashioned, with a high neckline that reached my throat and a tight lacy corset that made my chest ache. The sleeves were puffed out like clouds, embroidered with little birds. Pearls and diamonds strung from me. The bottom part flowered out to an enormous train, with silken folds and lace ruffles that made me feel as though I couldn't walk. A lace veil stuck to my hair and tumbled to the ground that ended in white silk.

Panic rose in my throat. I touched my hair, horrified to see the normal color of brown return. My cotton candy hair was gone. Instead remained straight caramel colored hair that reached my waist. I suddenly noticed the bouquet of white roses in my hand and dropped them.

Something was definitely off. We weren't in Draycott. Instead, we were in a room. Dirt and mold clung to the brick walls. I couldn't see a door. It felt like I was having an out-of-body experience. Nothing felt real. This couldn't be happening.

"I'm so very proud of you, Victoria." Father spoke. His voice was deep and cold. He sounded pleased, but it felt wrong. "We all gathered here for you today, my dear. I simply cannot wait to see my daughter get married." He flourished to something behind me and laughed joyfully. I turned around, tears gathering my eyes.

Facing me was a horrendous sight. People sat in folded chairs, but they were dead. Moldy skeletons in beautiful dresses and impeccable suits stared back at me. Every one was devoid of any skin or muscles. In place remained yellow bones and hollow eyes. The skulls seemed to be smiling at me, with their bony hands folded neatly and watching as if they were really here. Flies danced around the room. The smell of rotted meat and decayed flesh rose up and filled the air. My head starting spinning. I began tugging hysterically at the wedding gown, trying to get it off me.