Chapter 16

Dr. Zomboss looked down at Earth through his window and started thinking of any and all ways to get the brains of the humans.

'I've tried everything!' he thought to himself. 'No matter what I do, they always manage to take the zombies out!' He then gasped aloud and snapped his rotten, decomposed fingers.

"But what if they were blinded into not seeing what's coming?!" he said happily. He then turned on the intercom.

"Minion!" he shouted. "Remember that old fog cannon we have in the store room?"

"The one we were going to use for the World-Domination Party?"

"Yes! I want you to take it out and fire it at the humans' house!"

"Master, that's going to take a while to get it out..."

"I don't care! It's the only good idea I currently have! Move it!!"

There was a sigh before Minion replied, "Yes, Master."

Zomboss then heard movement from the room below him, which he assumed was Minion leaving for the store room. He then looked out the window again and smiled at Earth. He knew full well that there was no way those humans would survive the night.

* * *

Alex slowly opened his eyes and saw it was still dark out. He looked around and was surprised to see light coming from the other side of his closed door. Curious, he got out of bed and walked over to his bedroom door.

After opening it, he saw the light was coming from Josie's room, whose door was wide open. He then walked to her room and peeked in. Inside, he saw Josie, Sunflower, and Snow Pea sitting on the floor by the bed. He managed to hear what they were saying, but just barely.

"So, Alex had NO idea you had a crush on him?" Snow asked.

"None," Josie replied.

"That's kind of sad," Sunflower commented.

"Maybe a little," Josie mumbled. "I honestly thought I made it too obvious."

"Well you're the first girl who felt that way towards him, right?" asked Snow.

"Yeah, I think so," Josie replied.

"And I doubt men are smart enough to comprehend subtle hints, no matter how obvious they are," Snow continued. Josie then just giggled.

"That's true," she said finally.

"So you can't exactly blame him. Besides, I think he just wanted you as a friend, not a girlfriend or some object. And I personally think that's a sign he's the one for you!"

"She's got a point, Josie," Sunflower commented.

"I guess she does," Josie replied. "Thanks, guys!"

"Hey, it's the least we can do for saving your butts these last few days!" Sunflower said with a chuckle. Josie just giggled as well. Alex loved that giggle of hers.

ERT! ERT! ERT! Alex saw Josie quickly stand up and head for the door. He then quickly ran into his room and shut the door. After waiting a few seconds, he opened it again and saw her and the 2 Plants going down the stairs. He then followed after them. He also saw Freddy's door open with Freddy inside the doorway.

He then finally made it to the basement, where he saw Crazy Dave staring at the TV with confusion.

"This doesn't look good!" he told the others.

"What do you mean?" Josie asked.

Dave then pointed at the screen. Alex, Josie, and the other Plants looked and were shocked at what they saw: a patch of fog right at the back half of the backyard!