Chapter TWENTY SEVEN

____________________________

 He still had my face between his hands as his cool breath blew across my already sensitive lips. I couldn't open my eyes to look at him, If I saw him I'd want to kiss him even more than I do right now.

"I'm sorry." Colin whispered, "I didn't realize how much it would hurt you." He winced slightly before removing his hands.

Groaning internally I opened my eyes to find him a few paces back, staring at me with sad eyes. "Colin." I whispered, my voice breaking. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be." He shook his head, "You need to protect your heart and I need to protect mine."

"What are you saying?" I asked him, my tears starting up again.

"I think.." He let out a reluctant breath before speaking. "That maybe some time apart would...do us some good."

My heart clenched painfully in chest and the tears seemed never ending as he became a blur in front of me. "Right." I blinked rapidly before focusing on his face that was twisted up in pain. I knew why he was doing it, he was protecting me. Protecting me from the hurt I was going to feel once he turned eighteen.

I turned on my heel and ran out of the rink. As I pushed doors open on my way out I could see Colin standing halfway in wanting to chase after me but he didn't. His face just as heartbroken as I felt. It felt like my heart had been ripped from my chest and I was leaving a piece of me behind.

It was late as I walked home and I was cold. I wanted nothing more than to not go home, to get lost in the woods and arrive at a new place. A place where I wasn't in pain and it didn't hurt so much. A place much, much better than this.

No lights were on when I came home and I quickly made my way upstairs. I wanted to cry my eyes out and I didn't need the questions from my family.

My mother was the one to knock on my door the next morning but I locked it and refused to come out. My tears only welled at the thought of pushing everyone and everything away.

"Please, Kat." My mother pleaded around mid afternoon after I still hadn't emerged from my room. "Tell me what's wrong."

"Nothing." I mumbled but she heard.

"It's not nothing if you're hold up in your room." She told me, "You sound like you've been crying."

"I'm not." I sniffled sadly, my eyes dried out at this point.

"Come on Kat. Open the door." Her plea was desperate and I ignored her.

Tommy was the next person to try, "Kat? Are you okay?" He asked and I didn't respond. "What happened last night? Colin isn't answering anybody either."

A jolt rang around my body as he said his name and I shuddered, my chest feeling hollow. New tears seemed to spring out of nowhere as a new wave of pain hit me.

Hannah and my Dad tried while Tommy and my Mom repeatedly tried throughout the day and into the night.

"Kit Kat." Chris' soft voice spoke from the other side of the door and I froze at the dead way he spoke.

Chris was the one person who could understand me, the one person who felt worse than I did. He knew his mate, and she still didn't want to be together. That was pain I knew nothing about. I was just in love with some guy that I could never have.