(16)

As ash heard the slamming of doors as people ran away from his fabricated police force, he slipped a mask over his face. He wanted to save her, bit at the same time doing so would let her win. This was a battle where both sides secretly longed for the other, yet also needed control.

He quickly ran inside, finding Serena roped lazily to a chair. If she really wanted to, she could escape. She smiled as the masked figure approached and cut her loose. Then, the figure left.

As ash exited the building he quickly turned the corner, got in his car, and drove away.

He always took things one step at a time, and of would never give up so easily, but yet a part of him wanted to. This part wanted to fall back into her grasp, and let her foam she pleased. That part grew stronger every day.

-

Serena could only guess who it was had rescued her, but knew it best to keep her mouth shut. Ash seemed volatile, two opposed views clashing, doing one thing, then the opposite. Of course, this was the volatile ash that she loved. If he asked, she would lovingly fall into his arms, and do whatever he desired. Of course, if that ever happened she would still take steps to ensure the permanence of it all.

-

As time continued, Serena's attitude just seemed to get better and better. She came to every class with a smile on her face, skipping around without a care in the world. She had nearly driven ash to abandon her, and although he did save her, she didn't want to risk anything.

Ash, on the other hand couldn't be more cynical of this new Serena. This was partially what he wanted, a smart kind friend, but at the same time that other side of him could only think of her as a master manipulator.

"So, do we want to go to the amusement park tomorrow?" Serena asked one Friday afternoon.

"Amusement park? Heck yeah!" Gary cheered.

"Sure" Paul echoed Gary in a much more monotone way.

"I'm in" dawn smiled.

"Well then, it looks like we have all decided" Serena said, glancing over at ash, who remained silent but nodded approval "we are going to the amusement park!"