Coeus

The Titans

Coeus

Coeus was one of the Titans, son of Uranus and Gaia

Coeus was one of the Titans, son of Uranus and Gaia. His name means questioning, while the respective Roman deity was Polus, the celestial axis around which the heavens revolve. Based on his Greek name, it has been suggested that Coeus may have also been the Titan of inquisitive minds and intellect.
Coeus also represented one of the four pillars that hold the heavens and the earth apart. He was the pillar of the north, while the other three pillars were personified by his brothers Hyperion, Iapetus and Crius. The four brothers played an important role in dethroning their father, Uranus; as they were located in the four corners of the earth, they held Uranus in place, while their brother Cronus castrated him with the diamond sickle that their mother Gaea had given him.
Although Coeus does not have an active role in Ancient Greek religion, he was important through his children, Leto and Asteria, whom he had with his wife and sister, Phoebe. Leto was one of Zeus' lovers and gave birth to the twin Olympians, Artemis and Apollo.
During the Titanomachy, Coeus tried to stop Zeus and the other Olympians; failing, he and the rest of the Titans were banished to the Underworld. Trying to escape, Coeus broke his chains but was forced to stay by Cerberus, the guardian of the underworld.
Coeus Is also called Polus, Koios.