Chapter 13

She sighed as she raked her hands through her hair. God, what had just happened? She thought as she stared down at her hands.

For a moment she dared to look up as she saw the lights of the city flash by. She was thankful for the cab that luckily enough drove by right when she needed one. 

The man had stopped for the girl in the long red evening gown who came running out of the Four Seasons. She had thanked the man a thousand times as she told him her address.

And now she sat there. Staring out of the small window trying to process what had just happened. Her phone buzzed in her clutch telling her that people were texting her. She knew that people were asking her about the painting or telling her about the sale. 

Only looking for a second she saw the 84 messages and the number grew and grew. Quickly she turned it off and put it back in the clutch. 

She didn't even notice it as the cab reached her house until the man yelled at her. She apologized and paid the man as she got out of the car. 

Before she noticed it Wallace had already opened the door for her. A smile came over her face as she saw the tall man standing in front of her. "Thank you, Wallace." She said as a tear fell from her eyes. 

"Sweetie... It's alright." He said as he hugged her. He let her go and wiped the tear from her face. "It's ok. sweetie." 

She nodded her head and he let her to the elevator. Little did she now that what happened at the Four seasons had already been on the late evening news. Wallace smiled sadly as he watched her go up. 

He had watched the whole thing on the news. The story started with the news lady talking about  Mr. McGregor sr. and his 'perfect assistant' and the painting. Apparently, his will had said that that was the most precious piece of art that he owned. It had also been the newest addition to his collection as he had it painted not too long before his death. 

Wallace had been surprised when he saw James Jr. had bought the piece at that outrageous price. And he had been saddened when he saw the look on Elizabeth's face as the camera focussed on her. 

The poor girl had looked like a deer in the headlights as she ran off and out of the building. After that, he sat there waiting. Waiting to comfort her. 

Straight after she headed up to her apartment she washed off her makeup and took off her dress. She sighed looking at her own reflection in the mirror, knowing that she couldn't hide from the world forever. Luckily tomorrow was saturday, meaning she could hide from the world for at least one more day. 

The following day she awoke at around 8 o'clock. It felt nice for a change waking up at a somewhat decent hour. She went through her normal routine right up until she turned on the tv to watch the news...

"Now William, it has been the talk of the day, tell us about the McGregor gala."  

Quickly Elizabeth whirled around and watched the screen intently. 

"Well Kate, it sure was something. But first a little bit of background story."

She stared as the man in the suit on television started talking about none other than her. 

"Apparently Elizabeth Waverton was the personal assistant of the late Mr. McGregor Sr.

The man said whilst standing right next to an old picture of her and James Sr. 

"Mr. McGregor Sr. was the CEO of McGregor industries and one of the most influential men in the city. Last night a gala was hosted in his name in order to raise money for the orphanage his wife had come from. Here there was an auction selling off pieces of his art collection. The final and most expensive painting sold off that night was the painting of his P.A. Elizabeth."  he continued

Elizabeth didn't care to hear more of it and shut the damn TV off. She walked over to her phone and decided to bite through the sour apple and just turn the goddamn thing on. As soon as she did she saw that she had over five hundred text messages and more the 100 missed calls. 

Most of them seemed to be from media outlets, wanting to hear her side of the story. She ignored all of those and blocked the numbers. 

Then she saw that Natalie had left her a voice message. 

"Elizabeth!" She started sounding frantic "O my god are you alright? I saw the whole thing! O my god dear, that... I mean... it was even on the news. People think that you and James Jr. had a relationship and that you broke up with him and that's why you quit your job. They think he's still in love with you that's why he bought the painting for that absurd amount. 

I mean I know that isn't true but I mean... Why else would he pay that for a painting? I mean god this is just all so strange... 

And thank you so much for helping me last night! Jack is alright, he just has a concussion and a couple of stitches. The doctor made him stay the night, but this morning he could come home again. So that's all sorted out. I'm sorry that I sprung that on you yesterday...

So please, call me when you feel like it!" 

Elizabeth sighed as she walked over to her fridge and got out some eggs. This was a nightmare... He had bought the painting for a price equivalent of that of a Picasso or something like that. She didn't know why he would do such a thing either and it bothered her to no end. 

She sighed once more as she started making waffles and tried to get her mind off of things.