Chapter 32: Sunny's Attack

The wind blew against the letter, almost sending it out of my hand as if it wanted to. I held on tight, feeling my hands weakening by themselves. I was afraid. Afraid to open the note. However, I opened it up.

"Don't be afraid to let go. It's better. Escape the cruel world you live in, and join us. In the end, we will always win, here with The Lovely Suicide Children."

I took a deep breath as I read it eight times or more. I then stuck the note in my pocket. I couldn't breathe correctly at that moment. I felt lightheaded. Only the sound of my dad's car horn knocked me back to my senses. I walked over to the car, feeling as if the world was leaning left and right, and I would pass out on the ground at any moment. Reluctantly, I managed to crawl into the back seat.

"Woah!" I said when my head bumped into Amber's shoulder.

"Other side," she said.

I got into the front seat only because cars were passing by on the other side. "Hey," my father said as I was putting my seatbelt on. "She had to ride with us. I can't seem to contact Shayla, and I'm worried. Can't reach the babysitter either. Shit."

Dad drove away from the school. I turned around and looked at Amber. "Where is she?" I mouth silently.

Amber crossed her arms and looked at the window. This was bad. Really bad. I expected the worse as I sat in the car. What did Sunny do to her? I could only imagine what that terrible girl did to Shayla. The dark side of my mind told me to not care about Shayla. To hell with her. I thought for a second. That was wrong of me. I wouldn't wish death on anyone. Even if I did, I wouldn't mean it.

When we got home, my father let Amber and I out. "I have to go down to the police station, make a few calls and stuff. Feel free to order out. Money's on our dresser." 

With that said, he drove over the gravel and left us two by ourselves. I looked at Amber. Boy, did she look concerned. I figured it was because she didn't have anymore crushed bones to protect her. It was weird not seeing her throw it on the ground around her. Amber wasn't the most awesome person to be around, but that didn't mean she wasn't afraid for her life. I took her hand. 

"Come on," I said, walking her into the house.  I closed the door and locked it behind us.

"I don't know what got into Sunny," Amber moved closer to me. "She's so scary now."

"I know. Don't be afraid, okay?" I said, trying to comfort her. However, she didn't let me hold her for long. She pushed me away and stared at me as if I was going to hurt her.

"This is your fault," she breathed the words heavily. "Sunny didn't act like this. Not until you came. I warned you to-" She stopped talking.

For some reason, as if I knew why she stopped talking, I whipped around. There she was, sitting in front of the staircase with a limp Shayla on her lap. It was Sunny. She rubbed Shayla's hair as if Shayla was a lifeless doll. Sunny's appearance resembled a tired, beat up person that's seen it all. Messy, damp hair that fluttered around her face. Flaking skin that was holding onto her hands and arms. Tattered dirty clothing.

"What are you doing to Shayla? Is she dead?" Amber inched behind me while talking to Sunny.

"No," Sunny snapped. "She's asleep."

"Why are you doing this?" I asked Sunny.

"Amber's out of bones," Sunny replied while running her cold boney hands through Shayla's hair. "I have to protect her."

Sunny didn't sound too convincing. There was something in her voice telling me that she didn't mean it. I don't know. She sounded like she was saying stuff that she didn't want to. 

"There are no more babysitters," Sunny went on. "We need someone. I have to protect Amber no matter." 

What happened next made my eyes bulged. I watched while Sunny pulled out a sharp kitchen knife from behind her back. She raised it to Shayla's forehead. I didn't mean to react, but I did. I ran at Sunny, landing on her legs. I pulled at her ragged clothes that nearly tore away at my grip.

"Let me go!" Sunny said while raising the knife in the air.

"You can't just kill, Shayla!" I yelled out.

"I have to," she said. The way she said it sounded like she was upset that she had to. 

"Okay, okay," I quickly stood up with my hands in the air. "Why do you have to do this? Is this really for Amber? Why haven't you killed Shayla before, after all this time?"

The dead little girl stared at me, unsure of my question. Her eyes darted around like she expected something to come out the other rooms. I looked around then back at Sunny. Then it hit me. "Sunny, what is it? What are you hiding?"

Sunny's eyes widened, and like waves, liquid white fluids filled her eyes and bled onto her pale green face. She dropped the knife then quickly rose into the air. Amber ran into the kitchen, but I could just stand there and watch. Sunny's stringy hair rose above her head. The house began to move, and I felt vibrations under my feet as I stood. I finally got the sense to run. 

"Leave," I heard a whisper that sounded way closer to me than it should have. I thought someone was behind me, but no one was. It sounded like a warning.

Finally, Sunny launched at me, flying like an evil ghost. Her arms stretched out at me, and her legs swung back. I ran straight up the stairs as she followed silently behind me with her mouth half open. When I got to my room door, it closed in front of my face. 

"Please," I begged while holding onto the doorknob. "Please open."

"Olivia," Sunny appeared behind me. Her horrible shape only got worse. She landed on the floor but her legs buckled underneath her as she stood. Her neck, arms, and neck began to do the same as her legs. Twist, lock, while making sickening cracking sounds. It happened, over and over again as if she was a battery operated puppet that was low on batteries and malfunctioning. 

"What do you want?!" I screamed out while holding onto my doorknob like it would save me.

"I want," she paused then her neck cracked to the left, then to the right. "you to leave."

I closed my eyes and waited for the worse. I felt Sunny's cold, lifeless body hover in front of me. "What do you want from me?" I whimpered, closing my eyes so tight that it hurt.

"What are you doing?" 

I opened my eyes and saw Shayla holding her head.  I looked around as if to see Sunny around. She was gone. I let out a breath of air that I had been holding in for a while. My door unlocked and I ran inside, shutting the door in Shayla's face. I didn't care if she got mad. I didn't care about anything at that moment. I only cared about myself and what was going to happen if I didn't leave this house.