27

**Months later**

"Leah I swear to god-" Jennifer hisses from the passenger seat. I laugh and slow the car down even more, just to bug her. "Please hurry up! I have to pee!" She cries and I laugh and stop messing with her, driving much faster.

My relationship with Jennifer is better than ever and I would hope she feels the same way. I'm finally working full time in the new office and I am loving it. Jennifer is still working with Aaron, but she's not far from taking time off of work for this baby. She's due in a couple of weeks, so she's pretty anxious about the whole thing. I keep telling her it'll be okay, but in all honestly I'm freaking out too. I've had people tell me "you shouldn't freak out, it's not even your baby!" But it is...kinda. Sure, the baby might not have my blood, but I will be helping Jennifer raise the kid.

Overall, all is well in the household and things are about to get even better.

* * *

"I feel like a whale." Jennifer complains as she lays on our bed in a pair of sweatpants and a bra, staring at her belly. I smile and crawl onto the bed, "you're beautiful." I say and kiss her. She's really not even that big to be two weeks from her due date.

I put my hand on her stomach and then kiss her belly a few times, "have you thought any more about names?" I ask and she shrugs, "sorta. Aaron put his two cents in and now it's pretty much up to me." "Let's hear them..." I say and she grabs her phone to read from a list. "Gabriel, Isaiah, Lucas and Matteo are the choices." She says. I nod and smile, "Matteo." I say and she starts to smile. "You like that?" "Mmhm, I love it." "Then that's it. Matteo Andrés Diaz, please hurry up and get here." She jokes and looks up. I laugh and kiss her lips, "almost, baby, almost." I whisper. "Remember what you told me when Danny and I split? Almost doesn't count." She says and holds my face, examining my lips. "I love you, goodnight." I whisper and she kisses me slowly and softly.

* * *

I wake up to Jennifer rapidly tapping my arm. "Leah! Leah, wake the fuck up." She says. I open my eyes and sit up, "what's wrong?" I mumble, my voice still very sleepy and low. "I- something's happening. I think we should go to the hospital." She says. I don't question her. I get up and put on a pair of joggers, Nikes, and a hoodie and grab the bag Jennifer's had ready for the past two months. We go down to the car and there is absolutely no traffic... it's 2:00am. We make it to the hospital and they get us into a room as fast as they can.

I can tell Jen's in pain by looking at her. Finally, the doctor comes in and assesses the situation. Mind you that I am still very sleepy, I look like a hot mess, and I can barely think straight right now.

"Looks like you're having this baby sooner than we thought..." the doctor says with total calmness. My eyes get huge and Jennifer looks at me and smiles, "you ready for this?" She asks. I just stare at her and she points to her phone that's in my hand, "give it." She says. I hand it to her and she makes the call to Aaron and her parents like it's nothing.

After it's had a little time to resonate with me, I'm feeling good about things. Jennifer's in more pain now than she was before, she finally asked for the epidural and everyone is here. I'm sitting beside her bed holding her hand and she talks to me between contractions, "are you staying?" She asks and I smile and kiss her lips softly. "You really even have to ask me that?" I laugh. She smiles and then the nurse walks in. "Who will be in the room? And if something happens and we have to do an emergency C-section... who will be present?" They ask. I look at Jennifer and she sighs. "My mom, the dad, and my fiancé will be in the room. If there's a c-section.... I- I don't know." She says and looks at me, then at Aaron. Aaron looks at me and nods his head, "Leah." He says. I'm surprised by this, and I know Jennifer is too.

Before she can say anything, she has another contraction and squeezes my hand. "Leah this fucking hurts." She hisses into my ear, tears welling in her eyes. I smile and kiss her hand, "it'll all be worth it in a few hours, baby." I tell her. Aaron looks at me and motions for me to come closer. I let Jen's mom take my place as hand-holder and Aaron and I step out of the room.

"I just wanted to tell you thank you. I appreciate everything you've done for Jennifer and I wanted to apologize for my behavior in the past. I know now that you're here to stay, so I want to make the relationship between all of us a good one." He says. It does mean a lot to me that he's saying this. "Thank you, Aaron." I say and he smiles, "I'm nervous as hell." He laughs with a shaky voice. I smile and hug him tightly. He puts his arms around me and gives me a real, sincere hug and it feels great. Knowing that we're all on great terms makes everything so much better about today.