10 - Mice Will Play When The Cat's Away

After a few minutes of helpless wandering, I finally found myself back into the bedroom. I suppose it was my bedroom now. After all, the closet full of girl clothes was there. I doubted Lucian had much interest in wearing pink Prada dresses and Jimmy Choo's. It was true when he said he had been searching for a mate his whole life. The house was certainly prepared to hold another person.

The only problem was....where was Flora's things?

"Hey." I poked Flora's chubby cheek. She swatted me away angrily. "Wanna go explore the house and ruin some of Lucian's things?" 

"Yes!" she shouted excitedly. Laughing, I picked her up in my arms. Flora was abnormally small for a 6-year-old girl. She hadn't put on much weight over the years, which I constantly worried about. I hoped being here would flourish her growth a bit more, although it wouldn't be healthy to be stuck inside a mansion without any other children. I doubted Flora would be pleased to always be around a moody 17-year-old girl.

Hmm. That was a problem to be discussed with Lucian.

Flora jumped to my back, wrapping her arms and legs around me like a monkey. I zoomed around like an idiot for a moment, earning her loud, childish laughter. It was the first time in a long time since we've been able to be happy. Even if it was just for a moment before the monster returned.

I really should try to be nicer to Lucian.

We climbed a set of spiraling marble steps with an exquisite bronze railing that was almost the same color as Lucian's wolf eyes. Ignoring that thought, I piggybacked Flora into a huge ballroom. We both stopped and I was pretty sure Flora's mouth had dropped open in shock like mine. For a few moments, we were utterly speechless.

I could understand the joy of having a tiger made into a carpet, but this?

The ballroom was like something out of a fairy tale. A huge Oriental rug covered the vast marble floor. It almost looked fake, with intricate designs and the smallest swirls that were impossible to see, yet made the whole room shine. A row of crystal chandeliers went down the middle of the ceiling, giving scatters of shining lights. Tall windows with frosted designs reached high above our heads, almost touching the ceiling. Velvet maroon curtains were strung back with bronze ribbons and draped in upside-down arches across the walls. Mini balconies in swirly arches provided privacy, facing the tall windows. In the farthest corner stood a grand black piano upon a raised wooden platform.

In other words, the perfect place for a party.

There was a man standing near one of the doors that I hadn't noticed in my moment of awe. He was tapping away on a phone. Dressed in a black suit, I recognized him as one of Lucian's helpers. He was the one who was trying to grow a beard. It had grown just a bit more now.

"Hi!" I shouted cheerfully. I couldn't keep the smile off my face. Excitement swiveled through me like a tidal wave. I ran to the man and skidded to a stop on the fancy carpet, nearly falling on my arse. Flora yelped and clung to my back tighter. She would never make a good monkey. The man quickly looked away. "What's your name?"

"Vaughn." he answered awkwardly.

"Hello, Vaughn!"

"Good afternoon, miss."

"So, Vaughn." I propped myself up against the wall and crossed my arms. "Look at me when I speak to you, please! I hate how everyone avoids me now, like that bastard will kill anyone who merely looks at me. He's so controlling, I can't handle it."

Vaughn's dark eyes trailed to me. He straightened his back and cleared his throat. I smiled happily.

"You should go back to your room, miss. Mr. Nayati will be home any minute now, and I doubt he'll be pleased when he finds you chatting with I. Good day, miss." Vaughn turned to walk away but I jumped into his path.

"My name is Victoria. Why don't you call me by that?"

Vaughn rubbed his temple, like I was giving him a headache. "The Alpha's mate must not be called by her real name by anyone but the Alpha. Miss, you are the second highest power since Mr. Nayati found you. We have a duty, as a pack, to follow whatever he and you say. It's like the law. We simply cannot ignore orders." He turned to go once again but I stopped him. 

"Are you serious?"

"I don't joke, miss."

"Whatever." I sighed. Lucian's mating thing was ridiculous, but at least I had some power over his pack as well. "I have a favour to ask. Lucian is way too controlling. He needs to loosen up a bit, right? So I came up with a plan." I smiled. "I want to throw a party, but I don't know anyone to invite. That's where you come in, Vaughn! Will you help me, please?"

Vaughn looked utterly horrified at the idea. He shook his bald head immediately. "No, miss." he said firmly. "You simply cannot do such a thing. Mr. Nayati will not be pleased, and it is my duty to see his orders fit. I doubt he said you can throw a party."

"But, Vaughn!" I whined. "Please? If he gets angry, I'll say I forced you to, okay? I'll take all the blame. Besides, you're the one who said you have a duty to Lucian. I am Lucian's duty. Therefore, I am your duty as well." That made no sense, but I continued. "You're the one who told me you and the pack had to do whatever Lucian and I say. And I'm saying to throw a party and screw what Lucian thinks. I command you, or whatever."

"Yay, party!" Flora yelled behind me. Her high voice echoed in the large ballroom.

Vaughn sighed deeply. "Mr. Nayati will not be happy, miss."

"Screw Mr. Nayati. He can go chase his tail. I don't follow orders from anyone. He can't control me forever, Vaughn. So go invite every single person you know, every teenager and every stranger you can find. Set the time of arrival for 8. This is gonna be epic, Vaughn. Trust me." I waggled my eyebrows persuasively, but it probably looked more like they were trying to jump off of my face. Vaughn looked worried. Flora jumped off and began twirling around the ballroom like a ballerina.

Lucian would hate me.

Heh.