Chapter 15

"Come Elizabeth, just let me in..." James sighed out as he stood outside her door. He heard her sigh as well. "Why did you do it?" She asked him.

James knew exactly what she was talking about, he knew she was asking about the painting. In all honesty, he himself didn't even really know why. All he could think at that moment was that he didn't want anyone else to have that painting.

"I..." He started ranking his fingers through his hair. "I don't really know..." He said leaning on to the door. "I think it would've just felt weird of some stranger owned it..." He added sighing. 

It was then that he heard the lock of the door slowly turn. Surprised and happy he took a step back from the door but then the sound stopped. "Why should I let you in?" She asked, "It's not like you and I have ever gotten along." She added in a hushed voice. 

"I want to make it up to you..." He said as he heard her walk away from the door. "Wait!" He yelled, but he got no response. 

He softly put his fist up to the door in defeat and hung his head low. God, I'm being stupid... he thought as he was about to walk away. 

But then he heard the rest of the lock turn and the door slowly opened. "You're lucky you've brought food." She said with a soft smile on her face as she walked further into her apartment. 

Carefully he followed and closed the door behind him. He felt his heart clench for a moment as he saw the small tear stains on her cheeks. 

Elizabeth walked over to her kitchen area and crossed her arms. "Alright, all we need is two plates and two wine glasses." Said, James, as he opened the plastic bag he was carrying and revealed the food and bottle of wine. 

"White or red?" She asked him as she opened the cabinet. "Red, we're eating meat." He said with a small smile on his face. 

She grabbed the larger, rounder red wine glasses and two plates and carried them to the table. "Here let me help you with that," James said grabbing the plates from her hands, to which Elizabeth replied with a small, thank you.  

Together the two of them set the table. James then opened the packages he brought with him and revealed two perfect looking steaks and vegetables. Without hesitation, he served the food onto the plates and grabbed the bottle of wine. 

"Now, I've been told that you're quite picky when it comes to wine, so I hope you appreciate this one." He said showing her the wine that he brought. "One can always appreciate a good wine." She said cracking a wider smile than before. 

He laughed and opened the bottle of wine, letting her taste it before pouring the two of them a glass. 

"I would have never guessed you to be such a cook," Elizabeth said eyeing the food.

"O god no..." He said laughing, "I can make breakfast, but that is about it. I had this made by someone else. Bon appetit." He said gesturing her to start eating. 

The two of them just ate comfortably for a while, both enjoying the quiet around them. 

"So how is your new job?" James asked her like she was an old friend he hadn't seen in years. 

"Good actually." She said, feeling a bit strange answering his question. 

"I heard your an architect now, I would never have guessed that." He said taking a sip of his wine. 

"Well, it is the thing I went to school for." She smiled looking at him. 

It was strange sitting here like this. The two people that were almost at each other throats a few weeks ago. But somehow they were now having dinner like old friends would. The silence that would normally be uncomfortable felt nice and calm. 

"Thank you..." She said breaking the silence. He immediately looked up at that and said, "For what?" With a puzzled look on his face. 

"For earlier." She said sighing. "For calling Wallace." 

James sighed as he looked at her. "I'm sorry, if I hadn't done what I did, then this whole thing wouldn't have happened. So I kind off owed you that. 

"Well I have to say though, it is kind of flattering to be hung above the fireplace like that." She said smiling shyly. 

"The best place for a true masterpiece like that." He said looking deeply into her eyes from across the table.

Elizabeth felt her cheeks heat up as she cleared her throat. "Well, I must say that the food was delicious." She said looking away from his eyes. 

"I'll pass it onto the chef." He said taking one last sip of his wine and downing the glass.