Chapter 10

Kora

Kora

I increased my pace hoping I was right on time.
After mum reminded me about Racheal going back to school that day, I knew my head and legs could only lead me to one place.

I stopped walking the moment I saw the old black taxi parked in front of the big black gate. My heart beat was getting so slow now as I watched them. I could see how Luke held on tight to his mother's hands, whispering some words to her while the taxi man kept putting some food items into his car's boot. Not like anyone actually had to cook in NAUN, The school's cafeteria was better than regular restaurants, to those that could afford a cafe card anyway, and Luke couldn't. I knew him so well to know that he'd rather not spend all that money on food when he could just save them and cook on his own and yes, he was an amazing cook, also one of the many things I loved about him.

I had no idea my legs were already moving me towards them until I was really close. I watched how the smiles on both their faces disappeared the moment I came into their sight. He had stopped talking to his mother and just stared at me.

I swallowed hard, wringing my fingers as I approached them both. I was so nervous, too nervous, and it wasn't because I hadn't bothered to take a bath or look at myself in the mirror before I left the house, I couldn't even afford to at least comb my scattered hair. I had left the house in a hurry just so I could see him one last time. I had to. I could see the look in his eyes, he wasn't surprised to see me. He wasn't disappointed either.

I watched his mum slowly turn back to him and then gave him a gentle rub on his arm right before she turned to the gate. I could tell she wanted to give us some time to talk one more time. Aunty Patience had always known just how important we were to each other.

"Luke-" I called his name almost in a whisper as he turned fully to me. My hands were trembling. He exhaled

"Kora."

Why haven't you picked my calls? Why have you been avoiding me?

I wanted to ask him those questions so badly but I had figured it was better to just go straight to the point. He was leaving soon anyway.

"Thank God I met up." I smiled nervously, pretending like I hadn't just spent the whole week crying my eyes out. I could barely even look into his eyes. I was so scared to. Scared that they might not look back at me the way they always did. "I always called and stopped by to check on you." My voice increased by itself because I was so nervous. "I think I always came at the wrong time since you never came out to see me."

"Kora-"

"I'm not going to ask you what I did wrong anymore Luke." I finally raised my head to his, trying as hard as I could not to take the smile on my lips away even though it was really hard to keep them real. "I'm not going to blame you or ask you to take me back either."

I heard him exhale softly.

"But I'm not going to let you go either." I told him. "I know how hard this must be for you too. I know you need some space and I'll give you space. I won't let you go because I know whatever it is, you love me. You're just trying to push me away, but I won't give in, I won't leave your side."