CHAPTER FIFTEEN: TRAUMA (6/6)

All Kas was aware of was her own heartbeat thumping fast and heavy to match her breathing. Confusion plagued her mind, sowing seeds of doubt in her brain that made her question her own sanity.

Is this real...? Has my memory been wiped...? No, or I wouldn't be asking that... Maybe it's being wiped right now...

This time the darkness didn't last long. Over the top of her nose, Kas saw the nitroglass wall suddenly clear. Astell was tapping furiously on the barrier, his face a composition of fear and frustration. He was muttering unheard words to himself with all the fervour of a sinner praying for forgiveness in his final moments. Whatever he was saying, he was cut short when every light in the main chamber suddenly went out, plunging him into a darkness as perfect and consuming as the one inside the MI console.

Kas's heart was beating so loud she thought it was trying to escape from her chest. She waited like that for an eternity, wondering if this was to be her ending. She began to consider that it might just be another one of Swanne's tactics for inducing stress, but then a whoosh sound accompanied by a welcome rush of cool air roused her senses. Something fumbled in the darkness and came towards her and stopped.

Silence.

Kas stopped breathing. Her ears strained to listen. Even her lively heart took a pause from its heavy beating as it waited to find out who or what was inside the console with her.

'Relax,' a metallic voice said. 'I'm getting you out of here.'