Chapter Twenty Four

11/3/17

~*~
Friday

(2:00 P.M)

Before he could respond at all, I stood back, a broad smirk plastered on my face. "Huh, you're right. Making someone blush is fun," I said, one hand now resting on his shoulder.

Link stared at me with wide eyes. "Woah," he breathed.

I raised an eyebrow, still smirking. "Woah what?" Outwardly cool... inwardly dying.

"That was... you're..." He cleared his throat.

"Well, you said give them something to see," I replied, dropping my hand.

"Good. Good acting." Did his voice break?

"I'm the daughter of a politician who has talked with a hundred fake smiles. Trust me... I can act," I replied with a roll of my eyes. Somehow, thinking about my life didn't sting.

"... I... can see that... but you haven't acted like that befor- I mean... put on that act? Uh..."

I started to laugh. "Didn't need to, I had no one to fool."

Link looked up at me, his lips parting slightly. "Oh."

You... you just told him nothing before today was an act. I almost raised my hand to my face but realized it would draw more attention to what I'd said. And there was a chance he hadn't entirely caught onto the full meaning of the words. "Sorry if I shocked you, I just..." I don't know.

"No, no, it was fine. I started it," he said, waving a hand. But still, he had the same look on his face.

Was it confusion? Perhaps hope?

No. It had to be my own hope reflecting off my perception...

Wait. No, don't do that, I thought to myself, staring down at Link. Urbosa told you not to let pessimism win. You are better than that.

I know how to beat it. I've trusted in myself to write something amazing. Now look, there is an incredible guy sitting right here and-

"Zelda?" he asked.

"Huh?" I said, blinking as my eyes refocused on him. "Sorry, I was thinking."

"What a coincidence, I was as well," he chuckled.

"Very funny," I replied and rolled my eyes. Okay Zelda... You can do this. You can be yourself, I thought. Minus... the fear. I glanced surreptitiously to the house to see if they were still watching. There were less, but still a few shadowy spies lurking in the window. I swallowed. "Still offering a seat?" I asked tentatively.

He raised an eyebrow.

I smiled. "We do have an agreement."

With a grin on his face as a reply, he held out his hand. I took it, and he pulled. It wasn't all that gentle, nor practiced, but once I was settled it became surprisingly comfortable. Of course, I'd never sat across someone's lap before, so I hadn't known what it would feel like. I hoped I wasn't crushing him. That he wouldn't regret saying he didn't care about my weight.

Then I found myself hiding my face. This time I was not in control of the act. And I was sitting on him.

So I was inwardly freaking out. Big time.

Mostly calm on the outside though.

I had this.

"Hey Zelda...?"

"Mmm?" was my reply. My extremely hot face a little bit buried into his collar.

"About... about earlier-"

Muffled shouting came from the other side of the house, and I had barely heard the words, "Colin, no!" before the boy himself bounced around the corner.

No one else followed, but he ran right into the gazebo. "Lunch is ready, Link!"

Link responded with - no way, that couldn't have been a growl. It had been almost inaudible, but I'd felt something. Maybe I was imagining it... Then came a sigh. "Thanks Colin, go back in."

Colin blinked up at him, but he didn't move. "Link, why is she sitting on you?

Link opened his mouth but hesitated. "... she was cold."

Colin looked more confused. "Get a coat."

Link chuckled. "Yeah, that's what I tried to give he-" Link stopped as I jabbed him in the side with a finger.

"Colin!" Uli came around the side of the house, holding her back with one hand as she glared softly at her son. "What did I tell you? Get back inside."

The boy hung his head and mumbled something about lunch, then walked back around the side of the house.

"I am so sorry you two, I tried to stop him," Uli said, smiling apologetically before turning to follow her son.

With the appearance of Uli, the embarrassed writer that was me may have tried to escape the position she'd found herself in... but it wasn't exactly an option because Link wasn't letting me go. Not that I really tried... but...

"Sorry about that..." Link said.

I shrugged, my head back to resting in the crook of his neck. It was the only comfortable place for me to rest it. I found myself staring at his skin, wondering at how easy it would be to kiss it. The heck? I shook my head. "Colin just wants to be with you."

"And I understand that," he started as he moved his arms up my back. "But I want to be with y-"

I jumped with a sharp yelp, nearly falling out of his arms. Half cascading to the floor, half held in his lap.

"What happened?" he asked, moving to steady me onto her feet.

"Sorry!" I replied quickly, goosebumps all over my arms. "You-" I broke off and reddened.

"What?"

"When you - my shirt-" I swallowed and took a steadying breath. "Sorry... uh... your... your hand is really cold," I replied.

"Oh goddess, I'm so sorry!" he said as he grabbed his coat and put it around me. "Let's go back inside, next time we'll get you some warmer clothes."

That made me smile, despite the chill. Next time.