Chapter 16

I know it's been awhile.  I also realize this chapter is short, so please don't complain about the length.  I wanted to give you something, so here it is.  I have been extremely busy lately, so thank you to those of you who have defended me in the comments.  I don't mind those of you who ask nicely for updates, and I know some of you are commenting kind of jokingly, so that's okay, too.  It's the people who act like I only exist to give them reading enjoyment that bother me.  I love this story, and I promise to keep adding to it.  I just can't do so very often right now.  In June, I will definitely be writing more often.  

Anyway, I hope you like it.  Thanks for reading!!

********************************************************************************************************************

DREW

I couldn't believe I almost told Em that I love her. What was I thinking? I couldn't tell her that. Yet. What if she moved out? I wouldn't be able to deal with that. Oh, yeah, and I probably should break up with Ellie first. What if breaking up with Ellie made the Martins want Em back? I did not want that to happen.

She was with me for another two and a half weeks, and I was going to make them count. If she didn't love me, at least I'd get to spend some quality time with her before I lost her.

Then, there was Jake. How could I have been so stupid? Why would I set up the most wonderful girl I'd ever known with someone else? At least Jake was a nice guy, but he'd have her in bed in no time. I wanted to be the one she gave herself to. It didn't matter if it happened next week or 5 years from now, but I wanted it to be with me.

Ellie also posed a problem. I needed to break up with her, but I had to be smart about it. I wasn't sure Em even wanted to be with me, but could we even be together if she did? What if being with me felt like betraying her sister? I didn't know what I'd do if she wouldn't date me. I couldn't concentrate on anything but Em. What would happen to me if she didn't love me? Thinking about it made me sick.

I was wound tighter than a spring. It was all I could do to stay sane. I knew we'd be working on our project tonight, too, and I wasn't sure how I would be acting. Now that I knew I was in love with her, Em scared me a little. I was intimidated by her presence.

Driving to school with Em hadn't been too difficult, aside from me wanting to touch her hand or arm or leg the whole way to school. The other day when I'd absentmindedly touched her leg, I'd gotten goosebumps. She felt so different from Ellie. She was soft, and warm, and inviting. I wanted her to touch me the way she'd been touching Jake. I wanted Em with me all the time.

Ellie didn't come to school today. She had the flu or some kind of bug. She said she'd been puking all night. I felt bad for her, but I couldn't say I was unhappy to have a day away from her. Although, yesterday was the first time in awhile that she hadn't tried to talk me into sleeping with her. Maybe she was getting the message. I wonder if she had any idea that I was in love with her sister.

EMILY

I didn't know if it was just me, but Drew seemed to be acting even stranger since the cave incident. He'd been acting skittish whenever I tried to talk to him. I'd seen that side of him alot lately.

I didn't know if I was imagining it or not, but it seemed like what he'd wanted to tell me was slightly more important than Colin's return or Mike's unfaithfulness. It almost felt like he'd been planning to kiss me. I was angry with myself for even thinking that, though. I probably misinterpreted the whole thing.

I was actually surprised that Jake hadn't gotten grossed out by touching me, but he'd dated bigger girls before. Drew would never want someone built like me when he already had the better version. I know he'd given me the line about when something's in a prettier package it doesn't mean it works better, but I'm sure he'd just been trying to make me feel better. I hated myself for even entertaining the possibility that Drew had wanted to kiss me. My sister loved him, and I had Jake. I hated myself even more for wanting it to be true.