Joining the Two

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

Going through the forest, you could hear the sound of ice being shattered into multiple pieces. Hearing this, you knew you were close to Lucian and whoever he was fighting. You figured that he was probably battling Rezin, since Rayna was here. Taking another step forward, you were about to clear some bushes and trees before you heard twigs snapping to your right. Turning to look in the said direction, you saw Rayna with disheveled hair while the pink dress she wore was torn in multiple places. Her right shoe was missing while scratches covered her arms. It was a pity the rabbit hadn't managed to knock her unconscious, for now her rage had increased and it was all directed at you. Deciding it time to run, you went to propel yourself through the bushes, but instead felt yourself being thrown to the left. Recovering yourself quickly, you stood up only to have yourself thrown forward through the bushes. Scratches now covered parts of your arms while your body ached in pain.

Trying to get up, you heard voices close by and had the desire to run towards them. You knew it wasn't a good idea to run into a fight between Lucian and Rezin, but it was either that or let Rayna toss you around like a ragdoll. Thus you ran forward despite your protesting limbs. Rayna was close behind you and seemed too focused on you to notice the voices up ahead. If only the rabbit had distracted her for longer, making you wonder what happened to it. Doubting that she killed it, you assumed that she must have just escaped from it. When you saw her summoning a spell like the one that destroyed the tree from before, you cursed to yourself and tried to run faster. Knowing that such an attempt was impossible, you flung yourself onto the ground and lay as flat as you could. At that moment, you could feel the wind blast overhead, but you sighed in relief when it past. Since the wind seemed to only go down to the tops of the bushes, you weren't in its line of destruction due to you being lower to the ground than the bushes.

Your sense of relief was quickly ended when you felt a foot press into your back. It pressed into your back hard and the heel of her shoe didn't exactly help. When you attempted to get her off of you, you found that your wrists and ankles were secured to the ground. Glancing over at your right wrist, you saw that wind swirled around it, forcing it to remain down. Rayna's chuckling could be heard above you and you wanted nothing more than to punch her in the face. This laughing soon died out when a penetrating scream resonated throughout the woods. Knowing that it wasn't Lucian's, you became relieved.

On the other hand, Rayna cried out, "Rezin!"

In that moment, you felt her hand grip your (h/c) hair and pull your head back.

Bringing her lips close to your right ear, she whispered with a venom filled voice, "It would seem that I'll have to wait in killing you, though, slicing your throat in front Lucian will be most satisfactory."

She must have known that Rezin was fighting Lucian, which would make sense, since they most likely traveled here together. Feeling a collar of wind secure itself around your neck, you wanted to pull at it, but it only cut at your hands when you tried to remove it. Forcing you upwards due to the collar having a leash made of wind attached to it, she pulled you forward. This felt utterly humiliating and you suddenly wished that you hadn't forgotten to put your socks and shoes back on, however both were absent from the shore when you arrived, so you couldn't do much about that predicament. You had to find a way to escape though before the two of you reached Rezin and Lucian. Your eyes darted around for anything that you could use against her, for you refused to let her use you against Lucian.

Lucian was just about to plunge the spear into Rezin's chest before Rezin tried to summon a bolt of lightning. This action was prevented by the vine quickly wrapping around his left arm. As the thorns stabbed into his skin Rezin glared at his cousin, as though his gaze could kill him. Merely smirking at Rezin and his pathetic state, Lucian raised the spear only to hear footsteps behind him and a voice call out to him. Glancing over his right shoulder, he saw Rayna holding you in a wind leash and collar. The sight instantly fueled his anger. He wanted to throw the ice spear in his hand at her, but she could kill you with the snap of her fingers if she wanted to.

"Now Lucian, you hand over Rezin and I'll release the hybrid, but I'll be keeping the mask piece," she stated, forcing it from your hand and into her own.

You had to act now and so you examined your surroundings for something. Your eyes gleamed when you saw a nearby fallen branch. Quickly, you looked up at Lucian and secretly pointed to the nearby branch. He noticed your signal and cast a wind gag over Rezin's mouth in case he saw it.

"Well Lucian, tell me your answer now, or I'll let her neck bleed."

"Ah, Rayna I knew you would end up with low life like my cousin. I'm really not surprised," Lucian uttered with a smirk on his face.

Narrowing her eyes at him, she was about to reply when she saw a branch flying towards her. She didn't have enough time to dodge and thus the branch smacked her square in the face, causing her to fly back. This caused her to release the wind collar and leash on you as well, permitting you to run over to Lucian. You waited to see if she would wake up, but found that you had managed to knock her unconscious. Thus Lucian turned to check on Rezin, but found him creating a layer of rock over his arms, which crushed the thorn covered vines. Swiftly, he swept his hands over his mouth and removed the wind gag before summoning a rock wall between you two and himself. Cursing at his carelessness, Lucian watched as the rock wall vanished a few moments later. Rezin was gone, meaning that he could still be a threat in the future.

After seeing his cousin gone, Lucian went over to Rayna and knelt in front of her before taking the mask piece from her hands. Storing it safely in his coat, Lucian summoned a dagger of fire and drew it close to Rayna's throat, ready to kill her. A dark look crossed Lucian's purple eyes, as he was about to slit her throat. You could see the reason gone in his eyes, as only blood lust filled them. Before he could commit the act, you reached your left hand out and grabbed his right wrist, which held the dagger. He gazed up at you with a questioning gaze, looking almost offended at your action; however you held your ground.

"Lucian, I don't think you should kill her. It will only cause more trouble."

"And what would you have me do as an alternative? She threatened your life; she cannot be forgiven, for she crossed a line that none can cross, or they will perish by my hand."

His low voice was laced with a threatening tone, which slightly worried you, but you calmly replied, "Look, she's the daughter of two council members. If you kill her then the council will have every right to kill you regardless of the mask piece. If you keep her alive and merely erase and/or alter her memories then you can mold yourself a story that will work in your favor."

A look of realization crossed his eyes, as he smiled up at you and stated, "Hmm, yes that would be a better plan. I don't need for the two of us to become in charge of the council only to have assassins ready to kill us. I wonder what story would work best. I guess that we rescued her from Dalaphnat would work."

"And what exactly is that?"

"Oh, a creature that lives in the forest outside of my mansion. It's a four-legged creature covered in blue fur while two green horns sit upon its head. They're quite deadly and you wouldn't want to come across them. Essentially, they're the equivalent of a lion, but with horns. Thus, I'll merely state that she came to visit me and wound up running into one, causing me to rescue her from it."

"That seems reasonable, since I suppose we can't mention the Calalannia Woods."

"Exactly, we just have to wind this false story in her mind and erase her memories of ever coming here as well as her memories of helping Rezin find the mask pieces."

With that, Lucian gripped her chin and started to chant various inaudible words under his breath. You remembered him doing this to that spy back at the Venefici Ballatio. At first you were wondering if it would work due to Rayna's eyes being closed, but soon her eyes opened before having a hollow look in them while Lucian's eyes seemed to glow. Sitting against a tree and waiting for him to finish, you saw the tumbleroll jump down from one of the nearby trees and hop over to you. Its soft fur felt nice against your cold fingers and you laughed lightly when it began to snuggle into you. Being distracted by petting the tumbleroll, you didn't notice that Lucian had finished. Glancing up at him, you saw Rayna resting over his right shoulder, still unconscious. Getting up, you noticed that the tumbleroll remained in your arms. Smiling softly down at it, you followed Lucian into a portal, which he summoned. Thus the two of you left the woods behind before appearing in the courtyard of Lucian's mansion.

Once you were inside, Lucian stated that he would attend to Rayna and take her back home. When he returned, he would tend to the wounds that you had. Nodding in reply, you saw him open another portal before disappearing. Nafera walked up to you before her eyes landed on the tumbleroll. You could see the evident curiosity in her grey eyes, as she reached her left hand out to pet the creature. Before she could reach the creature, it jumped into her arms, almost knocking her over. She laughed, as the tumbleroll rubbed against her left cheek in an affectionate manner.

While laughing, she questioned, "So Master Lucian and you retrieved the last mask piece I presume?"

"Yes, the search is finally over. Now I guess we just have to get the council to comply."

Such a task sounded easy when you said it out-loud, but you knew that the reality of the situation was much more complex. How would you gain compliance from the council without having assassins after you every day and how would the rest of the magic community ever agree to let you rule over them with Lucian? Hopefully, Lucian would return soon, so you two could discuss the matter.