I Know You Cheated On Me

Kaya turned the knob slowly, her hands trembled as she weighed sins and forgiveness.

She was balancing her life on a tightrope and slowly losing it all. She truly did not mean to sleep with Ben. Yet one steamy moment led to another, and before she knew it, ...she was riding him until her back gave out.

She crept quietly into the house, tears streaming down her guilt ridden face. Her body was still suffering from another man's lustful invasion as her legs wobbled unsteadily.

Her hand trailed sadly along their coffee table, memories of love building and bubbling over.

Kaya remembered the first time she went house hunting with Keith. It was the way Keith had smiled at her that made it unforgettable, with big emotional eyes he promised "I will build your dream home, but you will always be my home".

The rooms echoed with eerie laughter, like white lingering phantoms. The spirits reminded her off all the times they had been happy, and life was as sweet as October apples in fall orchids.

Every picture on the wall was a slow motion black and white movie, rewinding their youth to the good old days. Like the time took their first bubbled bath together and the lavender suds flooded their carpets.

Perhaps, it was the time Keith drunkenly grabbed her hand after dinner and made her slow dance to Frank Sinatra. She remembered in that moment how happy he was to hold the world in his arms and just sway.

Kaya's eyes glanced at an old dog toy in the corner of their dining room, and like the wings of a bird it took her back. It took her back to a memory of the first time Keith had bought her a puppy. Sadly, they had to return it because she was afraid of anything that had four legs. It wasn't the dog that made it special but Keith's kindness.

Keith's patience always gave her sweet warm memories like freshly baked cookies. Sadly, now reminiscing only haunted her, dangling terrible truths as if to taught her and say, "this is what you could have had".

Or the time Keith bought her an inflatable jacket for her fainting spells. So whenever she was overwhelmed and ready to pass out the jacket would expand and fill up with air. This helped cushion Kaya's body so that she wouldn't injure herself when she fell unconscious.

A bright streak glowed in the dark room next to the cluttered coffee table. The object shined like gold coins.

Kaya realized it was her wedding ring resting on the table.

Kaya turned shamefully away crossing her arms as her shoulders shook and she collapsed into a heap of despair.

Who was she?

What had she done?

And was all this worth it?

Her thoughts screamed in the silence, swirling around a tornado of memories and misery that she had brought upon herself.

She bravely wiped her tears, sniffling as she crawled into bed next to Keith's peaceful snoring body.

He rustled under the covers, sleepily reaching a hand out into the dark, "wuuu okay sweetwee?" he mumbled groggily in between snores.

"Yes" Kaya whispered kissing his forehead, "sleep baby" she told him resting her head on a pillow.

Little cat like whistle and purrs escaped his slightly opened lips, "baby!" he smiled dreamily, drifting happily back to sleep.

If hearts could cry, than hers was already flooded. All through the nights sad hiccups and sniffles could be heard in the ruins of their happy little home and destroyed marriage.