Chapter One

Hi :)

Thank you for checking my story out. Just a couple of notes before we dive in.

• I wrote this story during my finals in PA school (to de-stress), thus, the story may feel rushed and will be quite cliché, ngl.
• This story is a complete work of fiction— please, do not tell me that I am ignorant for not having done any research. I have written according to how I want my story to be. As stated, I wrote this story purely to de-stress, so for people to have enjoyed it is beyond me and I am super grateful!!
• English is not my major (or first language), I am currently working to edit the errors. If I have missed anything please do correct me :)
• This book is the first of the Mate Trilogy, but it CAN be read as standalone. You will have to read this to understand book 2 and 3, though.
• It is a slow-burning romance that will most likely frustrate you!
• The story will contain mature and explicit content; so please read at your own risk.

Also, I started a new series (more mature) than this called Hybrid's Eclipse— head over to my page to read.

Thank you <3

◡̈

LYRA
________

The flickering of the fluorescent light at the graveyard served as a reminder that everything was indeed temporary.

When I was unable to differentiate reality from fantasy, the faulty lamp served as my only guidance. And in that moment, I wondered how much life there was in that remaining lightbulb, as if that was my biggest concern right now.

The droplets of rain that escaped the grey sky embraced the xenon streetlamp almost to bring it comfort. The sun was reserved for the summer, but the gloomy-damp weather argued otherwise.

They say both the good and the bad in life are temporary, but why did the latter feel permanent.

"Lyr," my best friend's familiar voice brought me out of my trance. "Let's head back inside."

Turning to the sound of his voice, I narrowed my eyes at the boy before me. The Alpha's younger brother, and my best friend of many years, Jaxon glanced at me with sorrowful eyes.

His usual emerald green eyes were tinted with a crimson red shade. His black curly hair was damp from the rain and hung over his eyes. He looked exhausted.

"Already?" I asked, my voice harsh.

"It's getting late," Jaxon explained, reaching over to hold the umbrella in his hand over me. "The rain is getting heavier and you're getting wet. We should go back inside before you catch a cold."

Instead of taking the umbrella, my gaze dropped from him to the ground. My eyes roamed over the flower covered soil until the tombstone came in to sight.

At first, the words displayed on the piece of rock were clear, but the words slowly blurred out as they registered in my mind.

Anna Theresa Dane. My mother.

My knees gave in and I found myself clinging on to the soil for dear life, pleading for it to give my mother back.

The tears that I had seemed to suppress finally made an escape, and my screams in pain echoed through the rain.

"Lyra, please," Jaxon pleaded and attempted to hold on to my arm to get me to stand up.

His attempt failed and I fell deeper in to the soil as I cried for the only person that I had known my whole life.