Chapter Twenty-Two

Sang

Sang

My body was aching by the time we reached Fang Mountain. The steady burn in my muscles was the least of my worries though. I was focused entirely on having a good meal, then resting my limbs for the rest of the evening. It certainly was a trying day, both mentally and physically, so I wanted time to relax and enjoy the alluring view the snow capped peaks created.

On the flight to the mountain, Gideon and I took the rear, while Owen and Saxon led from the front. Though Gideon and Saxon were an equal match intellectually, there was one big difference that set them apart...Gideon had no desire to lead, and probably never would. He preferred staying far away from the other dragons and their riders. He was content with being alone.

Despite my sour mood, I still found humor in the way Wil held tightly onto Victor when the ride got a little too nerve-racking. Poor Victor looked uncomfortable being so close to another male, but he handled it well, unlike Nathan, who was turning an angry shade of red when Derek acted aloof over their situation.

Every time I asked Gideon to let someone ride with us, he snarled and snapped his teeth, refusing to give in on his contempt. Whoever it was that said dragons were easily controlled by their riders was so ridiculously wrong, it caused a loud, amused snort to escape my lips.

Jay turned to get a look at me from where he was bent over at the fire pit, stacking wood. His sideways grin told me he was amused. "Something funny?"

I laughed quietly and shook my head, causing my braided hair to flip over my shoulder to rest on my back. "I was just thinking about how much easier it would be to have a friendly and obedient dragon like yours. I still wouldn't trade Gideon for another, though. Even with his irritable moods and ornery nature."

He smirked and let his legs fold so he could sit on the hard, rocky surface. He wiped the sweat from his forehead, then rested his elbows on his knees. "It might get better. He's truthfully the grouchiest dragon I've ever encountered, but he's still young. They tend to be a little defiant at his age and calm down over time."

I mulled over his words and came to the conclusion that I didn't want Gideon to change. I thought of him being like Owen's dragon and decided that I didn't want placid, I wanted adventure and mystery, a dragon that constantly had me on my toes.

"I see you've already come to a conclusion of your own. You like him the way he is," Jay remarked, his tone of voice offering his agreement. "I like him the way he is, too. It brings a whole lot of entertainment to the table." He jerked his chin, gesturing to something behind me.

Dr. Sean's dragon, Tao, was inching closer and closer to Gideon, dragging his vibrant purple scales across the ground toward Gideon. His eyes were hopeful as he approached. Gideon laid with his eyes closed, steam billowing out of his nostrils with each breath he took. When Tao reached a talon out at Gideon's tail, the moody dragon's ear twitched, which had Tao's eyes widening in alarm.