Chapter 2: Encountering

The sound of a tow truck wakes Mariana up. Groaning, she forces her body to leave the bed. Quickly throwing something suitable on, Mariana makes her way downstairs. A knock sounds at the front door. Opening it, Mariana greets and thanks the man before taking her car keys.

Her car is parked in her driveway. Mariana had it delivered. Shutting the door, she makes her way to the living. Plopping herself down and sleeping for another hour.

It is a half hour to noon. Mariana is heading out the door. She's wearing light skinny jeans, a white shirt, and thick gray jacket. Her gray and white shoes matching, as well as her beanie. Keys and bag in hand Mariana enters her car. Reversing out of the driveway, Mariana heads out.

Parking and shutting the car off, Mariana steps out. Walking towards the entrance, she hesitantly glances over at the dock. There he stands with his back facing her. He is talking with one of the older dockmen. Feeling eyes trained on him, he turns around. Eyes latching onto Mariana's. Shock at his sudden turn towards her, she quickly enters the grocery store. Not daring to look back.

Mariana's shopping cart gradually filling up to the top. Making it more difficult for her to push the cart. While scanning her groceries, someone catch her eye. It is the middle-aged lady from yesterday.

'What was her name?' Mariana questions to herself.

Finally, it clicks. Jean. Putting her last groceries back into the cart, Mariana pays and heads toward the exit. Jean notices her and stops her work. Asking her co-worker if they can finish the last little bit. To which they complied with.

"My word. Hi, honey. I didn't expect you back so soon." A huge smile erupts onto Jean's face.

"Hello."

"Do you need help putting these in you car?"

"No, I'm fine." Mariana politely waves off.

"Oh nonsense. Come on. I'm not taking any 'no' today."

Mariana couldn't get to talk again seeing as the lady is pushing the cart out of the store. Lips twiching Mariana follows after. Helping to push the cart. Both heading to her car.

Mariana and Jean stop pushing halfway. A figure approaches them. It was none other than the man that keeps unknowingly making his way into Mariana's mind. She tenses up as he stands a meter away from her.

"Aunt Jean, Rob needs you really quick." Kage's voice is a deep velvety one.

"Okay, honey. Let me help-" Jean pauses and looks between the two. A smile forming on her face. "Kage, why don't you help push the cart and put the groceries in. Please?"

He only nods. He cares to much for the woman before him,that he considers his aunt. Walking forward, Kage grabs a hold of the cart. Jean pushes Mariana forward. Telling her to direct him. Mariana walks ahead and he follows. Jean watches them for a moment before walking away with a bigger smile than before.

Both reach the car. Unlocking it, Mariana opens the trunk. Neither spoke as they places the groceries inside. The silence is tense and uncomfortable, but neither dare to open their mouth. Kage has not spare a glance in her direction. Mariana begins to worry.

'Had I done something wrong? Is he okay? Is he upset that I looked at him? Does he think I am unworthy of his time? Did I really do something?' Mariana mentally questions herself as she places the last two bags in, closing the trunk door.

"Do you need anything else?" His sudden question causes Mariana to jump in fright.

Swallowing the lump forming in her throat, she shakes her head. "No."

"Why are you here?"

"I just moved here yesterday."

"Why here? Why did you decide to move here?" Kage's voice slightly hardens.

"I love the serenity Norway has to offer. I moved because of some personal issues and problems." Mariana keeps her voice at a minimum.

Kage only hums. Taking in her answer carefully. He turns and faces her. Mariana notices his action. Though she keeps her head tilted down while looking away. Kage studies her; her profile, her stance, her body language, everything.

"I'm sure Jean told you to if you have any problems go to her so she can get me." Mariana bows for a second as a 'yes' to his statement. "I'm usually busy. If you do have a problem, I might not be able to get there right away. So don't try to cause a lot of trouble or damage."

"Okay."

Kage turns and walks off with the empty shopping cart. Mariana releases a shaky breath. She is shock that he actually talked to her, but also kind of happy. Pushing away those feelings, Mariana gets inside her car and drives off.

The day ticks by. Mariana is currently sitting on her couch reading a book. Engross in the words the filled the page to brink. Each word read is like glass of water being drunk drop by drop.

Knocks sound from the front door. Putting her bookmark where she left off, Mariana shuts her book. Placing it on the coffee table. Standing up, her steps her soft and slow paced. Opening the door, Mariana is met with a girl in her teens. She seems nervous but shy too.

"I'm sorry to disturb you. I just wanted to come and welcome you to the neighborhood."

"Oh, thank you."

"Also... do you have any sugar? We ran out and I can't go to the grocery store since I'm watching my younger siblings."

Moving to the kitchen. Mariana grabs one of the small box of sugar. Walking back to the front she hands it to that girl. The girl takes the box from Mariana's hands with gratitude.

"Thank you. I hope you have a nice rest of the day." The girl turns and walks home.

She lives a house over across the street. Mariana closed the door after seeing the teen enter her house. She resumes reading her book. The rest of her day spent like that.