Chapter Nine - Different Kinds of Proof *Annabeth*

A/N: Hi fans of The Things We Hunger For it's been a long time. I had forgotten about this story, being so focused on other stuff. But now I'm back + a new cover! Yay! I mostly got The Things We Hunger For all planned out and I'm going to try to update regularly from now on. It might not be more than once or twice a month, but I will try to get you guys new chapters as often as possible!

Enjoy the chapter!

Nine

- Different Kinds of Proof-

*Annabeth*

It was Sunday morning and Don was driving me over to Hannah's place since my car was still parked at the general store. You'd think with all the wolves heading there last night one person would have been considerate enough to drive it home for me, but no.

"I'll be back in like two hours," I told Ryan through the glass of the Cage.

He smiled. "Don't worry," he said, sounding amused. "I'm not going anywhere. Go be with your friend."

I put my hand against the glass, feeling like a dork. He put his hand on the other side of the glass. I tried to imagine I could feel his warm hand, like I was feeling it on me just like last night, but it wasn't the same. So I tried looking into his gray eyes, remembering the heat in them; that worked a little too well. I let out a small growl and I almost went over to open the Cage. I wanted to hug him, kiss him, touch him. I wanted it all. But now was not the time.

"Two hours," I said, pulling my hand away. "Then I'm going to have a talk with my dad about you being stuck in there. A serious talk."

He grinned and headed back for the bead where he was carving something from the wood he'd found yesterday. I wondered what it was, but when I'd asked he'd said, "A surprise." And even when I pestered him about it he wouldn't say more.

I walked quickly through the house, but found the door blocked by my dad and Jimmy. I frowned, the were clearly waiting for me. I wondered if I was about to get a lecture for hanging out with Ryan. Except then they should have been waiting outside the basement, not the door, right?

"You going with Don to see Hannah?" my dad asked, as if he didn't already know I was.

I nodded. "Yeah. We only talked for like five minutes yesterday once you guys were all through with bandaging her up and questioning her."

"Just make sure Don sticks around," my dad said,"and I want you to take this." He reached behind his back to pull out the 9 mm Luger he'd ordered me to take and load the night before. He'd taken it back as soon as he got home. Dad was weird about guns. He'd trained me and all my brothers to use guns, even April. We knew to be careful. Still he acted like we were toddlers as likely to shoot ourselves as any potential attacker.

"You're asking me to take a gun with me?" I asked as much as stated. My dad must be totally freaking to let me out of the house with a gun.

"Just don't go shootin' anyone don't be deservin' it," Jimmy said, "and you be right fine."

"Okay," I said, taking the gun, checking that it was loaded before putting the safety on and putting it in my handbag. The guy was way heavier than what I usually carried in my little bag and it made me feel awkward knowing what the extra weight came from. "Can I go now?"

"Just be safe," my dad said. "And don't shoot yourself in the foot or something. One kid getting shot a year is enough for me."

I smiled. "Technically Tucker got shot on thanksgiving so it's already been more than a year."