Chapter One: A Long-Awaited Nod

AUTHOR'S NOTE (AU): As of 20 June 2023, I am revising The Other Side after several years. Chapters that have not been revised will have an author's note at the top, either noting, "AU: Chapter is under revision" or "AU: Chapter is scheduled for revision." These revisions will be thorough edits, and some chapters will have new events added. Once a chapter's revision is completed, the note will be deleted and a comment will be made by myself to provide a time stamp of completion and to prevent confusion. Thank you for your patience and readership.

AU: Chapter is under revision.

"Run!" I order through a panicked shout, yet my cry is stifled by the others' shrill screams.

Wheezing heavily through desperate gasps of air, I fight to follow closely behind Rachel. The adrenaline pulses through my body with each rapid beat of my heart, and the soles of my shoes slap against the concrete with every stride, sending wave after wave of a deep, aching pain up my charging legs.

"(y/n)!" Aris's voice, clashing with the shrieks of the Grievers in pursuit, echoes along the maze walls from behind.

Struggling to keep on my feet as I continue to sprint along the worn, rugged concrete, I whip my head over my shoulder for a split second. "Yeah?!" I manage to yell between strained breaths.

Inevitably, my reply falls onto deafened, ringing ears, and I revert my eyes to the back of Rachel's head, her knotted pigtail swiftly swaying with each powerful step that she takes.

Although she's been a Mapper for only a few days, she is beginning to gain some distance ahead of me.

I clench my teeth together and push myself to run faster, pumping my legs as quickly as my burning muscles will allow. I've been doing this for three years, so running in the Maze is not as much of a challenge; the real challenge is getting Aris and the girls to the exit—alive.

"(y/n)!" Aris shouts again with heightening urgency, demanding for my attention.

"What?!" I yell in return, my voice growing hoarse. I attempt to look back at him again, which causes me to stumble over my throbbing feet.

As my eyes meet with Aris's figure several yards behind me, he begins to slow down and his eyes grow wide. As he screams something at me, a piercing cry of a distant Griever drowns out his voice.

My pace hinders slightly as my attention clings to the panicked boy, and regaining my balance, I draw my brows together in puzzled concern.

Aris, along with the group of girls at his heels, halts in his tracks. He sucks in a deep breath and cups his hands around his mouth before screaming at me again.

I finally slow to a stop, nearly doubling over in exhaustion as I swivel on my heels to face Aris entirely. "What?!" I repeat, exasperated. My body feels so much heavier now that I've lost the momentum from running.

Aris continues to scream, and the surrounding girls, who also cry out for my attention, begin to frantically wave their arms.

Wheezing heavily with each breath and wiping away the sweat that trickles down my forehead with the back of my hand, I squint at the group as Aris points at something in my direction, just above me. Although my heart has been pounding against my ribcage for a while, the palpitations make a sudden shift in response to the ghostly expression on the boy's face.

As I dart my eyes along Aris's line of sight, I am suddenly slammed back against the ground. Sharp pain shoots up my vertebrae when my spine smacks onto the concrete, and the pang bursts along the back of my cranium as my head follows the force of the blow, momentarily blinding me.