Pooflan- Insomnia Break-Down

Preston's P.O.V.

A nerf bullet came flying towards my head and I yelped, ducking as it hit the screen of my computer. I turned to see Lachlan, holding a nerf gun pointed towards me and a cheeky grin plastered on his face.

He screeched as a bullet hit him square in the back of his head and he ran forwards into the room, hiding under the desk. My head followed him and turned back to the door as another bullet flew into the room and hit me square in the face.

"Oh god, sorry Preston!" I waved my hand at him, the other covering my nose where the bullet had hit. Rob, who was the one with the other gun walked into the room slowly, deliberately moving slowly and making sure Lachlan could see him.

He suddenly pounced, dragging Lachlan out from underneath the desk and pinning him to the floor, digging his fingers into Lachlan's ribs. Lachlan screamed and tried to get away, squirming on the floor and attempting to push Rob off.

I laughed and watched as Rob continued to tickle Lachlan, holding him down. He started to call out for me to help but I just simply shook my head and watched, a small smile on my face.

"Rob! No, stop! Please! Preston help me pleaseeeeeee!" He screeched and tried to throw himself sideways to escape and landing at my feet. I sighed and moved around in front of him, protecting him from Rob.

"Alright Rob, leave him alone." He nodded and poked his tongue out at Lachlan from behind my shoulder before leaving the office. I turned back to Lachlan and crouched down beside him, watching as he tried to level his breathing out, giggling every few seconds.

"Come on you, get up." He reached his arms out towards me and I complied, hugging him to my chest and laying a small kiss on his forehead. Quiet footsteps made me look up and I saw Rob re-entering the room, smiling down at me.

He leant down and picked Lachlan up carefully, holding him bridal style and carrying him out the room with me following. He lay Lachlan on the double bed we shared and curled in behind him, motioning for me to do the same.

It was almost midnight by that point and before Lachlan and Rob had interrupted me, I had been editing and Rob had been attempting to get Lachlan into bed.

He had insomnia and at times he refused to go to bed, knowing he wouldn't be able to sleep so he'd just stall time until we gave up and went to bed without him, but most of the time we didn't.

Both Rob and myself hated to see Lachlan fighting us like that, we knew why he tried to get out of going to bed, because he couldn't sleep. There were times he broke down in tears because he couldn't do it anymore, and we did everything to comfort him but most times it was no use.

He would lock himself in his separate bedroom, the room he had so as not to expose our relationship to the fans. Rob and I would often fall asleep in each others arms outside the door, listening to Lachlan's quiet sobs behind the door.

It was putting a huge strain on our relationship, which was running almost 3 years strong and almost at the breaking point before we managed to get Lachlan to the doctors and he was prescribed sleeping medication to help.

He would still struggle with going to sleep on most nights even with the medication and it would sometimes take hours to get him into bed, which it had that night.

Just as I settled down in front of Lachlan he started to struggle away from us, and I knew why. Rob's arms tightened around Lachlan's waist and he started to whimper, pulling upwards and away from us. I tried to speak but when I did, my voice broke.

"Lachlan, please. We don't want to see you fighting us like this. We love you. Please, stop fighting us, we want to help you." There was a few second pause and then he burst into tears, his body shaking as he buried his face in his hands.

"I don't wan-want to fight you- you but I can't help it!" His sobs took over again and I moved up so my face was level with Rob's and just above Lachlan's and I could see the complete despair in his eyes.

Suddenly he wrenched himself away from us and fled the room, despite both Rob and myself trying to hold him down he managed to get away. Rob let out a sob and when I looked up at him I saw tears streaming down his face.

"I thought it was getting better, I really did!" I pulled him up and we walked downstairs to Lachlan's bedroom, where we knew he would be.

He was, the door was locked and I could hear muffled sobs coming from behind the door. I started to cry at that point and Rob's sobs became louder too, we were holding onto a thread of hope at that point.

"Please, please Lachlan, please open this door. We want to help you, please Lachlan, just let us in." I could hear the sobs continuing inside, Lachlan was still crying his heart out inside that room and there was nothing I could do.

All of a sudden I heard the lock click and then hurried footsteps away from door. I waited a few seconds before opening the door and Rob followed me in, his sobs ceasing as we saw Lachlan with his tear stained face curled up in the corner, sobbing and struggling to breathe.

As I moved closer I could see his shirt riding up on his hips and I froze at what I saw next. Scars, at least one hundred of them lined his hips, each one made by a small blade and each one exactly the same length, made by a razorblade.

I looked at Rob, he had seen them too and I knew he was thinking of his own scars, something I had seen on numerous occasions when we were having a bit of fun. Lachlan was asexual and stayed well out of our little adventures, something we completely respected.

He refused to be shirtless in front of us, something we never questioned because we simply thought he was self-conscious but we never thought there was another reason behind why he never let us see him.

Lachlan's body jolted and he pulled his shirt down as soon as he knew we had seen his scars, and he burst into tears again, wrapping his body into itself. I rushed to his side and wrapped my arms around him, holding him as he cried.

Rob joined me, rocking us both back and forwards for comfort and we all cried, knowing that this new discovery would create a long process of recovery, for all of us.

I knew it would be a long road to recovery, it would take years and Lachlan would possibly never recover given the scars would probably remain forever. I knew it would help him though, we should have probably gone for help long before we did and could have probably prevented a lot of this mess from ever happening.

I knew I would always blame myself, it was never an easy task to know your best friend and boyfriend had self-harmed and could possibly be suicidal, but I didn't blame him. It could happen to anyone.

But without that insomnia break-down we would have never known.