Chapter 11 - A Familiar Face

The elevator ride down from the nineteenth floor seemed to take an eternity. Denton's mind was flooded with theories and possibilities as his foot tapped an impatient rhythm on the floor. The perpetrator he had thought was a man was actually a woman. How could he have missed this? Was there even anything there to suggest it? As he searched his mind for the details of the case so far, he was convinced that no, there couldn't be. He was sure he hadn't missed anything. She had just fooled them completely.

He also had to admit to himself that he couldn't help but admire what she had done. She had the presence of mind while being chased to actually consider backtracking to the apartment she had run from. She had taken a calculated risk that it would be the safest place for her to hide. If the rapid response team had entered the apartment, she would have been captured. Yet, she did it anyway. There was also always a risk that the guard would never leave his post. If that had been the case, she would have been forced to knock him out again. Why would she take a risk like that? It wasn't making any sense. Not to mention Denton couldn't figure out why she had taken the magazine and the photo. What could she possibly want with either? Obviously, both of those items were important, but how?

As the elevator doors slid open, Denton sprinted towards the front door, but as he approached the front door, he froze in his tracks. He knew Tanner was reviewing footage from the various security cameras and he would feed him any information he found immediately. However, the security guards of the building itself sat on their post for hours every day, watching people go in and out. Was it possible they might have seen something Tanner wouldn't notice? He hesitated for only a moment before he changed course and made his way to the security office.

Just as he was about to open the door to the security office, he muted Tanner. He didn't want to offend Tanner and his abilities, but he also knew that if Tanner knew Denton was consulting what he undoubtedly would consider less qualified resources, his feelings would be hurt. Denton had no such intentions, but at the same time, he couldn't jeopardize the investigation because his companion had a thin skin. To mute Tanner would be the easiest solution, at least until he knew whether the security guards had anything of value to add.

"What now?" the security guard at the bank of monitors grunted when he saw Denton rush through the door.

"Have you seen anyone exit the building since the rapid response team left?"

"Are you kidding me?" the guard said and threw his hands in the air and rolled his eyes. "Of course, plenty people left. Jobs, shopping, school. You know, people just get tired of sitting inside. They got things to do."

"Fair enough. Look, you sit and watch these monitors all day long. If you saw someone that didn't live here, would you recognize them?"

"Of course. They'd stick out like a sore thumb."

"I figured as much," Denton said and smiled. "Let me rephrase my question then, if you don't mind. Did you see anyone you didn't recognize after the team left? Anyone that's not a resident of the building?"

"Not really. I mean, it doesn't mean someone didn't but like I said, there was a lot of people coming and going right your guys left."

Denton sighed and stepped out of the office. He should have stuck with Tanner and not wasted his time with the security guards. It was obvious they really didn't pay that much attention anyway. He unmuted Tanner.

"Found anything?" Denton asked as he left the security office behind and walked back to the lobby.

"There's been a lot of people walking out the door since the rapid response team left."

"I know. She's there, somewhere."

"I'm looking."

"Look for someone that doesn't belong."