Chapter 49 : Suna

"Damn racoon."

"Yūsha, don't make it harder for me," Ara sighed, exasperated. She didn't fancy taming a tailed beast, but she really had no choice. If she wants to keep the peace between Suna and Konoha, she had to take care of Shukaku.

The girl tied her Suna headband around her neck, showing her ID to the guards before she entered the Kazekage building. A jounin accompanied her, updating her about the current situation inside. She was way beyond relieved when she found out that the place is empty, except for the remaining shinobi at the entrance and themselves.

"Are you going to stay here until I finish my job?"

"We were told to follow your orders."

Ara nodded, as she stopped in front of Gaara's room. Sands were leaking out of the door hinges, trailing along the corners as they made their way outside. She carefully pushed the door open, and the Suna nin took a step back out of surprise.

"You can leave if you want, but you can stay. I don't need any assistance on this, don't worry," Ara assured, her eyes never leaving the figure in front of her. Shukaku had taken over half of Gaara's body, while the little boy himself seemed to be asleep.

"How nice of you to visit me, jinchūriki. I thought I've been forgotten," his voice boomed, and a wave of was shot towards her neck. She dodged it with ease, shaking her head in disapproval.

"Don't feel so flattered. Yūsha, I'll be leaving for a while. Please take care of me."

Yūsha growled softly, and Ara approached Shukaku. The sands tried to stop her, but she fought back, and her hand touched Gaara's forehead before she went into their mindscape.

×××××

"It has been a while, Tamer," the large racoon growled mockingly, his tail brushing against Gaara's neck. The redhead was shaking in fear, and he immediately ran to Ara's side as soon as he saw her.

"What are you doing?" she demanded, "You're breaking the deal. Get back to your cage and stay there."

"I'm not taking orders from a kid," Shukaku chuckled, before his gaze turned to Kurama, who had been standing behind the Hatake. "Did you miss me, brother?"

"Not in the slightest bit. You're still as selfish as ever; I guess you'll never change, Shukaku."

"How rude. If I may say, I don't think I'm breaking any deals here. You promised that my host will be stronger, but the boy is too weak to my liking."

"Patience. Everything takes time, Shukaku-sama. Gaara-kun still has a long way to go."

"And I'm tired of waiting." Shukaku growled, "How long do you think I've been sealed?! It's too damn long and I want my freedom now!!"

"All of us has been sealed for quite a while. It's not just you, Shukaku."

"When did you have your last rampage? Seven years ago? Do you really think you have any right to say that, Kurama?!" Before the Kyūbi could reply, he continued, "I don't get why you're still on your jinchūriki's side. That clan was the first ones who sealed us; if she's dead, it will be the end of them."

Ara clenched her fists, and much to her surprise, Kurama stepped forward, positioning himself between her and the One-Tail.

"Don't you dare, Ichibi."

"I don't have to be the one who killed her. Look at her; it will only take a little more to break her."

Gaara clutched the brim of her shirt tighter, and Ara could only stay silent as she watched the two Bijū.