십일

and always finds its way back

. . .

"Hyeri! Hyeri!" My body was shaken up by a strong grip on my arm and a presence behind me.

I jolted up, realizing I was lying down on the floor. "Lizzy! What happened?"

"Your s.tupid ex-boyfriend called me. He won't be here for a week." Her face frowned upon revealing the words. He won't be here for a week. Why? I was eager to know.

"A week? Is he on a vacation or something? That d.ouche!" I should be happy, he's away. But the feeling was rather melancholic.

I was silently hoping he's here. Not Lizzy. I wish he had woken me up. Not Lizzy. She bit her pinkish lips, struggling to find the right words to say.

"His...umm," she was taking all the time she got, "his parents died."

Her words jumpstarted my tears. His parents have always been kind to me. Even kinder than my parents. They made me feel I was family.

"I need to call him." I immediately stood up, but I felt a burning pain on my thighs, causing me to fall on my knees.

"Hyeri? Are you okay?" I heard her ask while she helped me lift myself back up.

"Yes. Yes, I'm fine." After opening my phone, I saw four missed calls beside his name. "Lizzy, you may leave. Thank you for waking me up!"

"But he told me not to leave you."

"Huh? Hello? Jungkook? I heard what happened."

Lizzy didn't move from her position until I gestured my hand, asking her to leave the room. She obeyed, and closed the door after her.

"Hi. I'm really—I don't know what to do. They're gone, Hyeri. They're gone, and all the papers are coming in. Everything is a mess. I wish —I wish you're with me right now." His voice sounded tired from crying and talking. I couldn't imagine the pain he's going  through right now. I wish I could be there for him.

"I'm sorry, Jungkook. Condolence. But, how did this happen?" His parents had been good people. I didn't see how they deserved death that instant.

"A—According to the in—investigators, they were on their way home when dad suddenly lost control of the wheels. The car—the car rolled down the highway. Mom was—" His sorrow was louder. It was heartbreaking to hear him crying. Jungkook has always been tough, but that was just a facade, a cover up for the soft child inside him. "She was declared dead on arrival. And dad, he was able to make it to the hospital b—but his heart gave up."