Chapter 23

Klaus and Grace spent another week with hiking up mountains and stomping through swamps. It really started to get on the younger vampires nerves and also Klaus was in his worst mood since he found about that Mikael-thing. He already spilled the beans towards her that he was his father, which was a fact that Grace had to process. Those were shocking news, but she was way too much distracted by fighting herself through werewolves that she could really think about what her sister and her friends wanted with a deadly Original-vampire hunter that was magical enough to hunt his own children down.

"Klaus, why are we actually doing this? You're referred as the unkillable, badass hybrid, that everyone is afraid of. Yet, we're here, hiding like cowards."

The hybrid growled at her annoyed comment to which Grace rolled her eyes and looked down to the pile of dead werewolves. Poor things. A human girl sat close to them and shivered with wide, frightened eyes. She panted and sometimes a whimper escaped her lips.

"First, we're not hiding, we're building an army. Second, I ran from my father because he has a weapon that could kill me, a weapon that, by the way, could also kill my siblings which includes your boyfriend. So it should be of your best interest...can't you just shut that thing off?"

The girl had started to scream like a maniac. It was a sound that made Grace go nuts, but she couldn't shut her up without killing or seriously injure her.

"Can't you just compel her?"

Grace mumbled through gritted teeth, turning away from Klaus to hide her embarrassment. But of course he stepped closer to her with a frown and grabbed her shoulders to turn her around.

"Do it yourself."

He ordered, but Grace looked away sighing before shaking her head. Klaus would probably see it as disobedience, but better that than if he knew how pathetically she lacked mind control skill. But of course he had to be smarter and look right through her.

"No one has taught you how yet, right? Poor thing. What a pity that I don't have time for this..."

The Original let go of her and strutted towards the fearful young woman. He forced her to look him in the eyes.

"Sweetheart, please let my friend here get a bite off you."

With his index fingers he motioned for Grace to come closer. Even tough she would've loved to punch him right across the face for that disrespectful gesture, she obeyed and stepped closer. She already had learnt that it was a waste of time and energy to go on her heels against Klaus.

Sighing, she flipped the girl's hair over her shoulder and stared at her neck. She saw a vein pulsating through her thin skin and without thinking, she bit into her hard, her blood flowing messily over her chin.

Without warning, Klaus shoved her backwards before she could finish her meal and she growled at him darkly and fought against his grip, but of course he wouldn't let go.

"Easy, dear, leave something for my hybrids."

With his words, the first of the newbie creatures started to shift as they came back from the dead. Grace shook her head and finally shoved his hands off.

"I'm sorry."

She whispered into the girl's ear as she held her bleeding neck over the werewolves corpses. They started to awake fully and desperately craved for the fresh blood. Most of them drank it immediately, some hesitated, but after all they were all turned.

"Are we done?"

The younger vampire let the human's corpse fall to the ground and went back to Klaus' side.