44

"He's gonna be alright."

"Are you sure? I'm worried about him."

"Yes, I'm sure."

"I mean, how sure are you? Are you one hundred percent sure?"

"Not one hundred percent, no, but I'm ninety nine percent sure. Sit down, Sam."

Steve rolled his eyes and crossed his arms over his chest as he watched Sam pace up and down the waiting room. Steve knew Bucky was a strong guy and would pull through, besides he was more worried about his sister.

"Seriously, Sam. Sit down so I can talk to you." Steve demanded sternly, glaring at Sam. Sam's eyes widened slightly before he raised his hands in a "fine, don't hurt me" gesture before he took a seat next to the blonde.

"You didn't see her much today, did you?" Steve asked in a hushed tone.

"Not besides the time she destroyed my wings, no. Why?" Sam asked, confused.

"She was the one who pulled Buck out of the river. She's gaining her memories, or at least gaining some humanity instead of acting like the weapon they trained her to be. We need to find her so we can help her get back to the way she used to be."

"Steve, I don't know if she could ever go back to the way she was when you knew her. I mean, she spent seventy years being brainwashed, beaten, and broken. You have no idea what kind of toll that took on her, mentally and physically. There is an extremely slim chance we can even get close to where she was before she fell off the train. I'm sorry, I really am, but you need to think logically Steve."

Steve sighed, not meeting Sam's eyes. Subconsciously, he knew Sam was right. But he didn't want to believe him. All he wanted was his little sister back, safe and sound, with both arms in tact. But he can't go back in time and stop her from getting on that train. If he could have, he would have done that years ago.

He knew he needed to face facts and at least let go of the hope of getting her back to normal. He knew he needed to focus on finding her and helping her find out who she is now. Especially in the new century, along with everything that happened to her, she would be a completely different person. Steve would just have to get used to that.

Before Steve could verbally answer Sam, a man dressed in blue scrubs approached them.

"Are you gentleman here for Mr. Barnes?"

"Yes, how is he?" Steve asked, standing up to meet who he now knew to be Bucky's surgeon.

"He did great. He's recovering in room 209, if you would like to go see him."

"Of course, thank you so much Doctor." Sam offered him a hand shake before Steve followed suit. Then, the two of them headed to the elevators and waited for it to take them to the second floor. It wasn't long before they reached Bucky's room.

Sam knocked on the door, before realizing that Bucky would probably still be asleep. Steve rolled his eyes before shouldering the door open and going to sit on the left side of Bucky's bed. Sam took the seat on the other side of the bed before he stood back up and announced he would be right back.

"Well, I assume you senior citizens still haven't listened to the soundtrack I suggested for you guys, so I'm going to head to my house really quick to grab a CD player before Matt Bomer over there wakes up."

"If you're looking for that Matt Bomer guy, you're in the wrong room." Steve deadpanned, looking at Sam seriously. They had a short-lived staring contest before Sam burst out laughing. He shook his head before muttering something that sounded like "oh the innocence" before leaving the room.