Chapter 8: Sydney

I will never take two working legs for granted again!

Sydney had been hobbling for about an hour, and by now, the crutch was digging into her armpit. The unstable ground wasn't helping, and the strong wind constantly challenged her balance. She had never missed paved roads as much as she did in that moment, struggling to stay upright on the dirt road.

How do people use crutches for months? I can't even handle one afternoon.

Sydney ignored the inner voice begging her to stop for a minute to rest. Instead she pressed on. She had spent the last four years going through intense physical training, so she knew she'd be able to make it. Looking ahead, she could see the town was just about a mile from her reach. She would rest when she got there.

Just outside the gates of Yorke, Sydney stopped to readjust the blanket she was wearing. She took her blonde waves out of the ponytail she had put it in earlier, and let her hair frame her face. Then she put the blanket back on like a hood and limped into town, keeping her head down, hoping she wouldn't stand out too much. She wasn't sure if there was a look Easterners had that made them stand out, but she didn't want to take any chances.

Sydney had no idea what time it was, but she guessed it was nearing dinner time. The rumbling in her empty stomach confirmed that for her. She looked around, but couldn't tell what the buildings around her were for. They all looked the same to her; dusty beige clay walls and solid wood doors, and not many of them had signs. She assumed at least one of them was a restaurant, but she wasn't willing to approach any of the strangers wirling past her to check. One of the reasons for that was because they were Westerners. She had grown up being taught to look down on them and their way of life; although her life wasn't looking any better at the moment. But the other reason she avoided them was fear that they might realize she wasn't from here. She wasn't sure how welcome Easterners were here, so she planned to avoid every kind of confrontation; at least until her leg healed up.

As she worked her way through town, and avoided the attention of the people selling things on the streets, she spotted an isolated corner on the outside of a building. It was just past a vendor selling jewelry and brightly colored scarves. She saw the corner as a place where could sit and rest for a moment. It wasn't a comfy sofa in the lobby of a hotel, but at least it was away from all the bussle on the streets.

Maybe the shadows will keep me hidden.

Sydney waddled to the corner, leaning her back up against the wall for stability as she slid down to the ground. She placed her bag to her side, hiding it under her blanket. She couldn't risk someone snatching it up; the tracker Jasper had given her was in there along with her only means of protection; her guns.

She didn't even bother trying to hide the crutch. People were either going to notice it or they weren't. It wasn't like she could fit it under her blanket, so she just stood it up against the wall beside her.

Hopefully these people have seen a crutch before. If not, then I'm screwed.

She let her head rest on the clay wall behind her, the feeling of warmth coming back to her as the walls blocked the wind. Closing her eyes, she felt the fatigue of the day catching up to her. All the physical demands the day had called for were easy stuff for Sydney. Her military training was ten times as grueling. But she wasn't prepared for the strain on her head and heart the day brought. It left her emotionally drained and exhausted.

Sydney started drifting, until the smell of some kind of meat being smoked filled her nostrils. The vibrations from her stomach growling got her attention. She needed food.

Man, that smells good.

Unfortunately, she had no money to buy food. She wished she could just rest and forget about it, but she couldn't fall asleep with that aroma in the air. Too tired to find a new spot, Sydney tried to distract herself with thoughts of what could be going on back at Galdon.

Is there any progress on who actually attacked us? Or are they still dragging my name through the gutters?

And Jasper. How are you? I hope they don't figure out that you helped me escape.

Sitting in a dusty corner really forced Sydney to confront the lonliness she was feeling. Being raised in an orphanage made her used to being lonely, never having had a home. But, when Liz came along she wasn't alone anymore. She found her home in someone, in her. And when she was old enough to live on campus, she made that her home. But now? Now she felt a new kind of loneliness. Sydney had lost her home, and the feelings that came with it.

Peace. Security. Love.

The only friends she had were gone, one more than the other, and here in Yorke she was surrounded by strangers; people she didn't know and would never get to know. Starting to feel depressed, she tried to tune out the world around her. Maybe she'd eventually nod off.

It's not like I have money to stay anywhere. I'll probably end up sleeping here tonight.

Sydney pulled her blanket further over her head until it slightly drooped over her forehead, then she closed her eyes. Hoping she'd become numb to the growing smells of food around her, Sydney let her loneliness envelope her.

She later woke up from the weight of some sort of metal hitting her in the chest and arm. Survival instincts kicking in, she shuffled to a defensive crouch, and looked around her. In front of her stood an elderly woman with a small child holding onto her leg, the boy's eyes wide in fear.

"Oh, dear, sorry to startle you," the old woman said, showing a toothless smile. Her face was tanned and covered with wrinkles, but something in her eyes looked youthful. "I gave my grandson some money to give you. Guess he wanted to practice throwing things again. So sorry."

"I-I," Sydney stuttered, still coming down from such high alert. It was just a toddler and his grandmother, but they were able to sneak up on her. Just their presence caused Sydney to see the vulnerable postion she left herself in when she fell asleep.

How can I have peace enough to sleep here when anyone could just walk up on me?

"Don't bother moving if you're tired, dear, but the coins should be enough to put something in your belly," the lady added.

Sydney looked at the boy, who was now nuzzling his face into the woman's leg, leaving only his blonde hair visible.

I guess I scared him, too.

"A pretty girl like you shouldn't be on the streets, so I hope you get back on your feet soon," she said before scurrying off with the child.

Sydney watched them leave, trying to judge if she was safe to settle back down.

How long was I asleep?

She looked up at the sky. It was covered with a blanket of clouds in various shades of grey.

Wow. My first night here and there's going to be a storm. Great. Just great.

Peeking her head around the corner, she looked west, where the sun would set. It was barely visible.

Hmm, sundown. It must be past six. Maybe seven in the afternoon?

Suddenly becoming aware of the pain in her right leg, Sydney forced herself to sit back down. She felt sure that her leg wasn't broken, but whatever it was was still keeping her from walking on it.

Deciding to wait a little longer before getting up to look for a place to eat, Sydney pulled her blanket back over her head. She picked up the two coins the woman had thrown to her and flipped them over in her hands.

They looked ancient, not like the money they used in Galdon. The coins were thick, but not exactly the same width, like they had been made by hand rather than a machine. On one side was the face of a man. He had a long beard that didn't fit completely on the coins, and he wore what looked like a cloth bandana around his head.

Isaac Freeman?

Sydney recalled seeing pictures of him in history classes throughout the years. He was the founder of the first settlement here in Western Region.

As she flipped the coins over, there was a picture of a tall tree. She had no idea what type of tree it was supposed to be, but flipping the coins settled her in way. She set her head back on the wall, still flipping the coins, as she began to hum a little tune.