Prologue

Centuries ago, before a nation was divided...

"King Isaac, I've got terrible news."

Isaac pulled himself from his thoughts, and turned his gaze to his most trusted advisor and friend who had just come through the door of his study. Avi Moraa.

"What is it?" he asked, concerned.

"I don't know how to say this, my King. You will not enjoy this news I bear," Avi warned, his face pained, as if he had seen the worst thing imaginable.

"Avi, you know how I loathe delay. Please, spit it out, my dear friend. What has happened?!"

"This has happened," Avi said, replacing his panicked expression with a cynical smile.

"I don't understand," Isaac said, backing away from Avi. "What are you-" but his words fell short when the sound of many footsteps caught his attention.

"What is the meaning of this?!" Isaac cried as three men came in, armed with swords and axes.

"Oh, Isaac. Don't play the role of a fool," Avi jeered, relishing the moment.

All reservations Isaac had were now gone. He was king, and that meant he had to face harsh realities. Right now, he was facing the one where his closest friend betrayed him.

Mutiny.

"Why would you do this, Avi? Why would you raise up against me?! Don't you know what I must do now?! How can I possibly let you live after this-this rebellion of yours?!" Isaac asked.

Avi's laugh bellowed off of the stone-castle walls.

"Take a look outside," he said, taunting Isaac.

Without hesitation, Isaac rushed over to see what Avi was going on about. To his dismay, he saw what appeared to be a crowd of rebels marching through his castle gates. His first thoughts went to his people.

What has befallen those living in the villages along the roads leading here?

"Now, do you really think you're still in a position of power to threaten my life, King?" Avi snickered, mocking his title.

"What have you done?"

"I've done what no one else was willing to do. They all were too afraid to mess with the good king's reign, but I see past all of that. I see ahead, to a future where Galdon is respected as a power nation!"

"I don't understand," Isaac said, gripping his crowned head. "Galdon is flourishing. The people are happy. What more could you want for this nation that I have not already given it?!"

Isaac was getting angry. He did not deserve such insurrection. Not after all the things he sacrificed to feel worthy of such a responsibility.

"That's just it. You lack ambition," Avi said, contorting his face like he was sickened by Isaac. "Enough conversing. Hold him back."

As soon as Avi finished giving the order, three armed rebels moved toward Isaac, gripping him in a hold he could not escape from.

"I think he'll enjoy the show," Avi said with a smile. "Let's bring him along."

They pulled Isaac along as they followed Avi through the now overtaken castle. There were lifeless bodies of guards who died trying to protect their king, and Isaac's heart wept for them.

You were loyal 'til the end. May you rest upon the horizon, my friends.

When they finally settled in one place, Isaac recognized that they were right outside the door that lead to his front balcony. He had given many speeches from that balcony, and his people listened.