Chapter 10

Pray for Vegas. It is so devastating. 

^ Pic of Alexis again

HUDSON

I rubbed the crease between my eyebrows in frustration. My mom was so stubborn sometimes, and I had to wonder how my dad kept up with her.

"Mom, you don't need to come down here. She's fine. Boston and Matthew just went down to check on her," I said, ignoring her loud protests.

"And why didn't you check on her?" She snapped. I could just imagine the deadly glare she had on her face that would make most wolves want to piss their pants.

I stared at the paperwork silently.

The thing is, I would have gone, but I figured Alexis wouldn't want to see me. I did feel guilty for letting her go through her heat cycle alone, but everything happened so fast that I couldn't even think clearly. My wolf was tearing my mind apart.

"Hudson, I'm disappointed in you," my mom said softly. I winced at her tone– no matter how soft it was, it felt like a thousand knives pricked my skin. To know that, for the first time in my life, my mom was so disappointed in me really hurt. I had let her down.

"Mom, I'm sorry. But you know my reasons," I said, trying to make her see the situation from my perspective.

"You're living in the past, Hudson. You haven't realized how much you've grown as a person. You have to trust yourself to make the right decisions or else how will the pack trust you? If they find out that you don't even trust your own mate, how are they supposed to trust you to tell them everything? They'll think you're hiding something."

"It's not that I don't trust Alexis, Mom. I just want to see how her personality is before I let myself fall into this relationship."

"How are you supposed to figure out her personality if you keep avoiding the girl? How are you going to accept that she's trustworthy by just observing her around other people you hardly know? You have to talk to her, Hudson. Communication is key. Do you know how many relationships are destroyed because the couple won't communicate with each other? I'm not going to let this be the reason you and your mate don't get along. I won't let that happen."

My mom made some good points, I had to admit. Perhaps it was time for me to visit Alexis and have a talk with her. It will help me figure out whether she is Luna material or not.

A few minutes later, my mom finally hung up after making me promise that I would go see Alexis as soon as possible. I decided that the best time to go would be after she comes home and settles down. It wasn't a good idea to stress her out in this condition. She wouldn't be willing to hear me out then.

There was a knock on the door, and Boston and Matthew trailed into the room with somewhat serious looks on their faces.

I pursed my lips and tried to act casual even though I was a bit worried.

Had Alexis's condition gotten worse?

I cleared my throat and gave them expectant looks, "Well?"

They exchanged a look before Boston opened his mouth hesitantly, "She wants to reject you."

Out of all things for him to say, I was not expecting that. My lips parted and my eyes widened as I stared at him in disbelief.

Was he serious?

My wolf started panicking and pacing frantically in my head.

Go to mate. Beg mate to not reject us.

I shushed him gently and tried convincing him that Alexis wouldn't reject us, but he was not having it.

This is your fault. Mate doesn't want me. I'll grow old and have to live with squirrels.