Part 1

*3 am* Alex Gaskarth POV
I woke up to my phone ringing loudly next to me, I reached over to see an unfamiliar number but, if your calling at three am it must be important.

"Hello is this Mr. Gaskarth?" The voiced from the other end asked,

"Um yes, this is." I stumbled wiping my eyes.

"This is Officer James from the Maryland police department. Do you know Mary Hopkins?" He asked I thought for a minute about Mary. We had dated about 4 years ago and I hadn't heard from her in years.

"Yes, we used to date but years ago," I responded,

"Well I'm sorry to inform you but, Ms. Hopkins was killed in a car accident earlier this morning." He said.

"Oh my..." I muttered, god I can't believe she's gone like that, but why am I getting called?

"In the car was her three-year-old daughter, Charlotte. Ms. Hopkins left in her will that you are the father of her daughter." He started, I remained silent. A kid, my... kid?

"Now if you do not want to or unable to care for this child she will be put under state custody until a relative is found. And if no relative is located she will be put into a foster house." He continued, could I care for a child? But I can't live with knowing I never met my kid.

"Where is she?" I asked,

"Maryland University Hospital," he replied, my heart sank this poor defenseless baby. She couldn't have done anything, now her mom is gone.

"Is it bad?" I asked,

"No nothing so far. Just some bumps and bruises. And she's scared." He explained.

"Can I come to see her?" I asked.

"Yes you can Mr. Gaskarth if you would like we could run paternity test to see if she's yours," he added,

"Okay, thank you," I said before we ended the call. I stood up out of bed and walked to grab a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. I took a breath and quickly slipped on a pair of shoes as I dialed Jack's number as I closed the front door. He picked out on the third ring.

"Dude it's fucking 3:30 in the morning! This better is a good one." He exclaimed,

"Jack, remember Mary? Mary Hopkins." I asked.

"Yeah, you guys dated for a little in high school, why?" He replied.

"She died, but um she had a kid and um in her will it said that I'm the father.." I trailed off,

"Damn..." he mumbled.

"A little girl, she's three. Charlotte. They just called me and asked if I wanted her. I'm gonna go and meet her." I responded.

"Dude, what are you gonna do? A single parent at 24?" He questioned,

"Well if I don't take her, she'll go to a home somewhere. But she's my kid, Jack. My little girl. I already missed so much. I can't just do nothing." I told him.

"Yeah, it would be wrong to just leave her. I think you should go and meet her." Jack said,

"Okay, Jack I'll keep you updated," I said and ended the call. I jumped in my car and drove to meet my daughter.

-JUMP CUT TO THE HOSPITAL-

I pulled up to the hospital and parked, I took a deep breath before I got out of my car. I slowly approach the ER doors, as I enter I saw an office.

"Excuse me are you Officer James?" I asked.

"yes I am, you must be Mr. Gaskarth," he replied.

"You can call me Alex," I said we shook hands.