Chapter one: started at the wrong feet

ELIZABETH'S POV

"Lizzy, wake up!" My roommate, Allyson, shouted in my ears. We have known each other since we were little kids. I remember when we used to have playdates growing up.

"What is it?" I asked in my sleepy voice.

"You're going to be late!" She exclaimed again.

I had slept at twelve a.m last night because of an assignment that had to be handed in.

And that was when I remembered that I had work today.

I've been working part-time as a waitress so that I could pay my school fees and other things that I needed. My grandmother was helping me by paying half of my school fees since it was too much for me to afford. My parents owned one of the biggest companies in New York.

After high school, I had told my parents that I wanted to study to be a doctor and they disowned me. They threw me out of the house because as their only child, I was the heiress to their company, hence them wanting me to study business. I had never heard from them since.

My grandmother took me in for a while until I found my own apartment. I would have stayed with her but she lived too far away from the college I was attending. Luckily, I had one more month before I could start as a student doctor where I could be put into training. Then, I can get my doctorate degree in medicine.

Jumping out of my bed, I looked at the time, learning that it was already half-past seven and my job started at eight o'clock. I'm going to be late! I thought as I quickly ran into the shower. I was supposed to turn on the geyser last night, but I forgot, so I was forced to have a cold shower.

The cold water ran on my body, sending shivers up my spine. It was more of a two-minute shower but I got cleaned. I got dressed in my waitress uniform before grabbing an apple from the kitchen counter.

I looked at the time again to find it 7:40. I was lucky to find a bus at 7:45, but I had arrived at work five minutes late.

"You're late," was what Mark, the manager and my boss, had said to me upon seeing me.

"I'm sorry, I overslept. I promise, I won't do it again," I said, frantically.

Mark was pretty serious about work, always taking it seriously. He never accepted tardiness or bad behaviour from his workers.

"I'm not interested in your excuses and I don't pay you to come here late," He said in a threatening tone. "Make sure you don't come late again, or stay at home and forget about coming here again."

"Yes, Sir," I replied in a shaky voice.

"Now go serve the customer at table nine, he's waiting," he said, pointing at a table near the corner of the restaurant. "Don't mess this up, he's a very important guest."

He gave me a look before I walked away towards table nine.

He was the most handsome guy I have ever laid eyes on. He looked like a Greek god with dark chocolate eyes and dark brown hair that was hanging on his face.

"Excuse me, Sir; may I please take your order?" I asked politely. He ignored me, so I cleared my throat and asked again, this time a little louder.

"I heard you the first time," the man said in a bored tone. "Can't you see I'm busy? I was clearly ignoring you"

"I'm sorry, Sir, may I take your order?" I asked.

"I would like some coffee, no sugar," he said, looking at his phone.

"Okay, Sir," I said before returning to the kitchen to get him his coffee. I made the coffee just as he had ordered it, making sure it was nice and warm with no sugar. I returned to the table where the man was sitting and gave him his coffee.

"Here you go, Sir," I said as I placed the coffee on his table.

He looked at me for a moment, before looking down at his phone. He then grabbed his coffee and started sipping. As I turned around to serve another customer, I heard him spit the coffee all over his table. I turned around again to see what happened.

"Are you trying to poison me?" He asked.

With that attitude, who wouldn't? I thought to myself.

"This coffee is too hot and too bitter," the man said angrily, grabbing everyone's attention.

Was that man crazy? He asked for a coffee with no sugar, and now he was telling me it was too bitter.

Not wanting any trouble with the man, I said, "I'm sorry, Sir, I'll go get you another one."

I cleaned the table and took the cup of coffee before returning to the kitchen. I made him a new coffee, as one of my colleagues and best friend, Marry, came up to me.

"What is wrong with that guy?" Marry asked exasperated. "I've been watching you from here and he does not look too happy."

"I don't know. He asked for a cup of coffee with no sugar then he said it was too bitter," I explained. "Why wouldn't it be too bitter if it had no sugar? I even made sure it wasn't too strong."

Marry rolled her eyes, "Rich people think they can do whatever they want."

"I guess I better give him the coffee before Mark hears of this," I told her as I got out of the kitchen with a new coffee for him.

"You're late," the man commented. "Do you think I have all day to wait for you?"

"I'm sorry, Sir, I got a bit delayed in the kitchen," I apologized for the umpteenth time.

"People like you shouldn't even exist in society."

I took in a deep breath at the statement before turning around and walking away. If I hadn't gone to the kitchen, I was going to end up murdering someone and I did not have the energy for that. He should look at himself first before starting to insult people. He was so rude and arrogant!

Soon after, the man left, the rest of the day went on like a blur.