Chapter 20 - Paris

Even though I've been once on the brink of dying for real, I can't deny I have the strongest of hearts. I doubted it when the doctors said it then, but now I'm sure of it. My feelings for Tania have blinded me to the point of not realizing the consequences of my acts and frequently causing me mini heart attacks... figuratively speaking.

Tony spent plenty of time with us throughout the party and the topic of my body didn't come up again, thanks God. Of course, he has seen me naked countless of times while working in a production, and took care of me while I was recovering. He can recognize my body among a hundred with or without clothes. But that is something that Tania doesn't need to know... at least not yet.

And the truth is I can't really dance. The only things I know are moves when I did a short stint in a club as a male entertainer when I was 20 years old. The girls were drunk and horny. For all I know, I could have danced the Hokey Pokey and they would have showered me with money the same.

And then Petra... how did I erase the fact that she would be there? She always makes an appearance at the party, searches for me and makes me feel uncomfortable. She has told people we had something, which isn't true, but I've never denied it either.

I kept calm and quiet the next day, working hard at the birthday party, and trying to focus on the fact that I was going to see Roxy again the following Monday. I seem to have gained the trust of the social worker who after receiving me, allowed me to enjoy the company of my daughter without her supervision.

Tania kept watching me throughout the rest of the week. She's a smart woman and suspects something without a doubt. I'm still affectionate with her, but not much has come out of my mouth for fear of ruining everything.

As usual on every Saturday, I knock on the house door so that we can head together to today's birthday. I wait for five minutes and knock again, but no one answers.

The van is still parked on the drive, so she hasn't left without me. Maybe she's in the bathroom and can't hear me. I call her from my phone and pay attention for a ring at the other side of the door... nothing.

"Tania? Are you there?"

Silence.

"I'm going to open the door, so if you are not wearing anything, you are warned."

I turn the knob and enter the house. A silhouette greets me and as I approach it, I find Tania asleep at the dining table.

"Tania?" I shake her shoulder softly. "We have to go."

Tania opens her eyes and looks drowsily around. A line of drool runs down her cheek.

"Are you okay?" I ask concerned.

"Heeey! Deviiin! Whatcha doin' here?" she smiles goofily.

"We have a party. You know, with the Paris theme? Pink and black; ten pre-teen girls. Yesterday evening we placed the sequined Eiffel tower in the van."

Tania watches me with a confused face and then grins.

"Oh yeah! Ooh-la-la and all that jazz. Moulin Rouge and the lady marmalade. I'll be with you in a minute. Let me just rest my head," she returns to rest her head over a bunched up stack of fabric.

Now I'm the confused one. I have no clue what she's talking about.

"Tania, are you on drugs?" I shake her shoulder again.

She laughs and laughs, and it seems to have injected her with some energy. She looks at her phone and then throws it in her purse. After searching for a while, she finds keys and thinks she throws them at me, but aims at the kitchen.