Chapter Six.

1

THERE was no doubt of the tension that existed between the Engineer and Little Girl, the ambience in the air being so thick that it was almost possible to cut it with the bluntest of a  butter knife. But despite their time spent together traversing the Barrenlands and spending many a time underneath the shimmering night sky, it wasn't enough to waiver nor falter the Engineers mind. There she continued to stand, the face cover undone and limping in a hang to the side with the pulse gun held in front of her and aimed at Little Girls chest. The contraption continued to light up a brilliant blue and hum; the glow piercing through the darkness and shining awkward, little blue light on them both. Her blood pulsating quickly and her anger at its peak, the Engineer feathered the trigger with her gloved finger – all too tempted to pull it and let the pulse do its work. But she fought the temptation and thus, Little Girl was still alive. At least, for the time being.

Little Girl stood to her feet, and pulled down the edge of her dress over her kneecaps. She eyed the gun wearily, but then did the unexpected. She let out a hefty sigh – a sigh that was too big for the chest of her body – and slumped her shoulders impatiently. Such attitude for such a young girl that had not yet matured. The Engineer watched her lips part, the saliva a string between her opening lips. "If you're going to do something, do it now crazy Drifter." There was a pause, as Little Girl's eyes lingered over the Engineer and then back at the rectangular contraption. "Or are you so weak you can't pull the trigger on a young girl. You know, that would be frown upon if the world we knew still existed."

The Engineer shuffled a foot, mentally asking the forgiveness of her fathers for walking in and burrowing herself into this mess. She felt the sand push up in a heap against her boot, and a few of the harsh grains filtered in through the lace holes. Nevertheless, this she was used to and she continued poised on the situation at hand. "Don't push me, Little Girl. Don't do it, beg ye."

Little Girl rolled her eyes, seemingly unphased by the words. But why? "Do it then," she laughed. "Bitch."

2

Enraged by the new-found hostility of the Little Girl, the Engineer found herself acting upon dreaded impulse. Impulse that she had been warned about by her Elders. Catching Little Girl off-guard with her lightning-quick moves, the Engineer surged forward and immediately knocked the butt of the gun downwards, striking Little Girl squarely on the flat of her head. But what was normally a hit that could immobilise any creature, she found Little Girl remaining on her feet but obviously in some degree of pain. She lifted her hand overhead, and rubbed the tender spot.

"Ouch. That hurt," she whined, high-pitched. There were beading tears welling in her eyes, but the Engineer put this to the side. It didn't change the fact that Little Girl was something, albeit normal. She was anything but.

The Engineer – realising that Little Girl wasn't cold by the strike – took a step back, and held the gun straight again. "I ask again, ye. Who are ye?" Silence fell across the expansive land as the two figures stood opposite, one eying the other with caution. It was akin to an old western stand-off, the men standing square on and waiting to make the move. And the tension between them was sure like one too. After a long moment, one that was too long for comfort, Little Girl lifted her hand and pushed away the tears that had wetted her face.

"Drifter, to be honest. I don't know who I am."

3

The moment the new day's sun brimmed over the horizon, the Engineer and its companion shifted to their feet and started their journey once more. The evening hadn't been a kind one, and the Engineer and Little Girl were both brooding over the events that had somehow unfolded and escalated beyond their comprehension. But all was not forgotten, and they salvaged what small mutual respect they had left for one another even it was just a trickle. The morning had slipped away into the afternoon, and the lands were looking as wasted as ever. Spying the overhang of a boulder against a bone-dry waterbed, the wanderers sat underneath and lamented in the shade, trying to recoupe energy. Feeling parched, the Engineer removed the facial covering and lifted the slushing water container to her lips; the water cool against the tender skin. She had only screwed the lid back onto the container and closed her eyes, when she heard Little Girl jump to her legs and start yelling excitedly.

"Drifter! I say Drifter! I see something!"

Surging with part surprise, the Engineer bolted to her feet and squinted far, far into the distance. Sure enough, Little Girl had been right. Something glinted in the distance, the surface shining brightly under the harsh glare of the desert and half buried underneath the surface sand. She had never seen anything shine so extraordinarily bright, anything but the sun. And yet, here it was, some distance away but sure as sure there.

"What is it?" asked Little Girl, overwhelmed with curiosity and excitement. The Engineer fumbled in the drapes of her cloths, feeling for the heavy, cylindrical gadget. Finding the elusive piece, she removed and unravelled it from the spare cloth that provided little protection to surface tarnish. The contraption rolled into her hands, exposing a golden polished surface with a worn thick, black rubber piece circling the barrel. Giving it a flick, the cylinder extended and clicked rigid, and the Engineer lifted it to her left eye. The eyepiece magnified the intense desert, but still didn't provide a clear enough view. She lifted her other hand and rolled the rubber band ever so slightly. The view magnified, and now everything became a much clearer and enlarged picture.

"Little Girl. It's nothing like I've ever seen before."