Twenty-Nine

Friday, May 27, 2016

[Ceci email to Jack.]

This brings up something interesting to me. Remember when normal publications like The Detroit Metro Times, an entertainment paper, began advertising the Sex Industry? Suddenly we were expected to act like it was no big deal that our "art newspaper" was filled with escort services ads. It was a disheartening and creepy thing. Creepy in a way we didn't understand yet (human trafficking). Creepy knowing that there was so much of this out there, an extra twenty pages, a whole world where people existed servicing creeps.

Ceci

[Jack email to Ceci]

Right. It's that invisibility we talked about. I'll swear on a Bible, regular guys do not openly talk about using prostitutes, even among themselves, even in locker rooms. But the numbers are so big. The ads are legion, well placed, and full color. Is there really a vast world of professional sex? Suddenly, I feel naïve, and maybe now understand the title, Eyes Wide Shut.

Joe told the cops that everyone was in on the hooking, but their rule is no one talks about it. No one admits anything.

Jack

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Jack

I'm at the hospital. Justin is shooting for his 4rth broken bone which would tie him with his sister.

 Justin is shooting for his 4rth broken bone which would tie him with his sister

No break.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Jack

Happy Memorial Day!

Working on Jason's sentencing set for Friday. Here are some of the threads of his story: His dad was a drug addict, drunk, and burglar. His mother, a drug addict, prostitute. His sister, who is 5 years older, was here today. At age 5-6, she watched her father choke out her mother, then, after Dad would flee, she would pound on Mom to revive her and call 911.

The furniture was always broken from being thrown, with legs being broken off to bludgeon the other parent. Doors hung loose on hinges in splintered frames from being kicked in. Broken bones, but no hospital visits because the parents were constantly "on paper" (on probation or parole). She remembers blood on clothes, pooled on the carpet, smeared in the bathroom. Smeared on her and her baby brother.

Her last childhood memory of Dad was when he chased her, mom, and Jason down the street with a knife. He screamed that he was going to kill them. She was 6, Jason 9 months. Dad spent the next 16 yrs in Prison. He escaped once, to kill Mom and her boyfriend. He was arrested 5 miles from their home and sent back to prison.

Mom injected herself with meth, heroin, and "anything she could get her hands on". She sold their food stamps to get cash to buy drugs. She sold herself to buy drugs. She stole food.