Chapter 6 | Victor

Age

8

4

After school, Yuuri seemed very anxious. "What's wrong" I questioned as I helped him up onto the bus. He just looked at me with his big brown eyes. "I don't like that I don't know anyone," He said finally as I sat down on the seat next to him. I knew Yuuri always enjoys looking out the window, so I let him sit in the window seat. 

"Yeah, the first few days are really hard if you're new." I laughed. "Don't worry! You'll know a lot of people pretty soon," I said tilting my head and smiling as brightly as I could. "Yeah!" He said smiling back at me. The rest of the bus ride home was quiet with both of us staring out the window at the scenery as it blurred passed. 

"We're home!" I called walking into the house after Yuuri. "Welcome home!" My mom and Father cried in unison. "How was your first day?" my Mom asked Yuuri as he ran into the kitchen. "Father!" I said running into him and hugging him fiercely. He's still not quite used to the idea of someone smaller than him hugging him and depending on him for a response. "You're back!" I said looking into his pale brown eyes. So much like Yuuri yet so much different. "Yeah, I guess so!" He laughed, ruffling my hair. 

Father works as a business manager for some big company with locations and connections all over the continent so he has to travel a lot. Apparently, that's also how he found out about Yuuri. He's rarely ever home but when he is he's really tired or having to plan for another trip. It's rare to see him home and smiling so we enjoy every moment he is.

My real dad... I never knew. All I remember was that he had blue eyes and blonde hair. I can't remember much but he loved us while he was around, mom says. I trust her. I don't think he loved us but I don't know. If he loved us so much he wouldn't have left us.

When I ask about him, mom gets all anxious and fearful as if saying his name will bring him back. In a way it will, memories will always haunt us.

One of these days I'll ask... Someday she'll be ready to talk about it I hope.

❄❄❄❄❄

Dinner was really good, Yuuri's a pretty good chef. I helped Yuuri up the stairs again, and we began on our homework. Yuuri completed his a bit slower than me so I helped him complete the last of his fractions. "Will you read to me?" He asked. "My mommy used to read to me before I went to bed, so..." He looked down shyly. I could see small tears forming in the corners of his eyes. 'He's scared I'll say no.' I realized. He was just so cute, I couldn't say no to him. Ever.

"Sure of course!" I said smiling at him. "Don't cry though." I said wiping the tears from his eyes. "Go choose a book!" 

Yuuri chose a book called Gon the little fox. It looked interesting. He clutched the book as I carried him up the ladder again. Scampering to the other side of the bed, I once again got up the ladder to see the small boy looking down to see if I was coming. Smiling I sat down with him on my lap with Vichan on his. Once he stopped squirming I began to read. Luckily the book was translated into English or I would have had a heck of a time trying to translate it into English as I read.

 As I read I became increasingly more interested. The book is about a little hungry fox, Gon, who kept stealing food from the villagers. One day he steals an eel from one villager and that causes his mothers death.  He feels bad so he brings nuts and berries he finds in the woods before he's caught bringing them to the villager. The villager shoots him out of anger before realizing it was the fox bringing him the treats. 

As I finished the book I left it open before slowly closing it. Staring at the ceiling I remembered when my mom used to read me a good night book. I usually fell asleep before the ending, I wonder if Yuuri did? Looking down I was surprised to see him smiling sadly with tears in his eyes as he touched the cover. 

"Huh?" I said dropping the book and wrapping him in a small hug. "What's up?" "My mommy... She used to read this to me." He sniffed. "I miss her." He said after a few seconds. "I'm sure you do. I don't know what I'd do if I'd lost my parents." I whispered staring off into space. 'I know how you feel.' I thought. 'I know how it feels to lose someone close to you.' 

After that Yuuri curled up next to me again and fell asleep. Tonight I wrapped him in a tight hug and covered our bodies in a blanket. I sang quietly a lullaby my mother sang to me. I remember my dad sang it to me once. 

  There's a green oak-tree by the shores
Of the blue bay; on a gold chain,
The cat, learned in the fable stories,
Walks round the tree in ceaseless strain:
Moves to the right – a song it groans,
Moves to the left – it tells a tale.
There're marvels there: the wood-spite roams,
Midst branches shines the mermaids' tail;
There are the strangest creatures' traces
On the mysterious paths and moors;
There stands a hut on hen's legs, hairless,
Without windows and doors;
There visions fill a vale and forest;
There, at a dawn, come waves, the coldest,
On the deserted sandy shore,
And thirty knights, in armors shone,
Come out the clear waves in a colon,
And their sea-tutor – them before;
There a brave prince, in a fight, shortest,
Makes to surrender a king, dread;
There, to men' views, a wizard, worthless,
O'er woods and seas, through clouds, aired,
Carries a worrier on his beard;
A princess pines away in prison,
And a wolf serves her without treason;
A mortar, with a witch in it,
Walks as if having somewhat feet;
There's King Kashchey, o'er his gold withered;
There's Russian odour... Russian spirit!
And I there sat: I drank sweet mead,
Saw, near the sea, the green oak, growing,
Under it heard a cat, much-knowing,
Talking me its long stories' set.
Having recalled one of its stories,
I'll recite it to the world, glorious...  

I remember my dad had this really soft and bright voice. He was really good at singing from what I remember... Maybe he's some famous singer making his mark on the world without us, I thought bitterly.

---+= Words 1117 =+---

So.... My bday is coming up soon. I haz no plans and no motivation to plan anything. I guess I'll just write a bunch of fanfiction for you ppl like in Russia.

In Russia on your birthday, the birthday person is supposivly to invite all of his/her friends to dinner and pay for the check and whatnot. I personally don't like that tradition but hey. I'm american.