Friends

Hi everyone, 

This chapter is sort of like a filler chapter. It's not too fun but I do feel like it's a bit necessary. I hope you enjoy nonetheless. :)

This chapter hasn't been edited!

***

"What is your relationship with the Yates?" I asked my father as we ate our dinner?

"The Yates?" my father asked. "What about them?"

"What's your relationship with them?" I repeated. 

"I used to be very close friends with Bradley Yates," he said as he set his spoon down. "It's a shame they left so early." 

Bradley Yates sounded so familiar but also unfamiliar at the same time.

"Bradley Yates?" 

"He used to be the previous president of the Yates Hospital. He passed away in an unfortunate accident with his wife. They left behind their young son," he frowned. "Poor River was left alone in this world with his crazy relatives all alone. That boy deserves so much better than them." 

So Bradley Yates was River's father. The parents he was desperately trying to not let down were gone. Somehow, that made me feel very sad for him. 

"Do you do business with them?" I asked. 

My father turned to me, surprised, "I didn't know you were interested in business. You're always disappearing as soon as the b of business in mentioned," he laughed.  

"I'm not interested in business," I rolled my eyes, "I'm interested in your involvement with the Yates." 

"Oh, is that so? And why is that?"

I shrugged, not having an answer.

"I own some stock at the Yates Hospital so that makes me a board member. Which means that I'll occasionally have to attend some meetings but that aside, I have no involvement. My ties with that family was completely cut off after Bradley and Jasmine passed."

"What about River?" I found myself asking. I don't know why I had the need to ask that but before I could even stop myself the words just slipped. 

"You know I don't like talking business at the dinner table," my mother said, ending the conversation before my father could even answer. I was annoyed at not receiving an answer but I also didn't press on because my mother's wrath was not something I could be bothered with. 

***

I read through the list of things I needed to get done as I leaned against the receptionists' desk at the hospital. 

The sudden sighs of the nurses caught me off guard so I turned to them and noticed they were lovingly staring at someone. Following their line of sight, my eyes landed on none other than River Yates. He was stitching up some kid's hand and the child bawled his eyes out. 

I turned my attention back to the nurses. 

"I have never seen you guys behave that way towards anyone before," I noted, a little confused by the River love. 

They didn't say anything. Instead they continued watching him until they found something better to do. I turned to Barbara and asked her why they liked him so much.

She smiled, "He's unimaginably kind. He's probably the nurses' favourite doctor around here." 

"Doctor Nicholas is really nice to them too but I have never seen them behave like that towards him before."