[After Story]: Dabi's Fate

It was supposed to be just another patrol.

You followed Thirteen along the street, keeping your eyes peeled as you scanned the dark alleyways. The area was relatively peaceful today, proving uninteresting despite it being your second-year internship. You could have pick someone else to intern with, but Thirteen had been teaching you a number of inventive ways to save people. And you felt comfortable around them.

"Hosu's pretty quiet today, huh Thirteen?" You smiled, watching the citizens walk about peacefully.

"It sure is. A bit different from last year I gotta say." They responded cheerily.

"Well between Molten melting the city, me turning traitor, and Stain and the Nomus running rampant... Yeah, definitely different." You chuckled.

The two of you passed through the shopping district, your eyes wandering to the new building in place of the law firm you had destroyed. It sent a remorseful tinge through your chest still.

"So how much more community service do you have to do (y/n)?" Thirteen questioned, noticing how you became lost in the daze of the past.

"Oh uhh... Two more months until my sentence is officially over." You grinned.

"That's great! I guess then you have the option to move out of the dorms for the summer if you want your third year!" Their comment made you smile gently. It wasn't so bad being confined to living in the dorms all year and needing to report to Aizawa every day, but after your sentence ended you could go wherever you wanted. "Are you thinking about moving in with Bakugou after you graduate~?" Thirteen teased. Your face instantly grew red at the thought.

"WHA-?! That's... I don't know, I mean I wouldn't mind..." You finally admitted.

"Think his parents would approve?"

"Are you kidding me? Mitsuki would literally buy us a house if she couldn't convince me to live in her own-" There was a flash of dark fabric that shot through the opening of the alleyway. Your eyes widened slightly at the sight.

Was that? No it can't be...

"Thirteen?"

"Yes?"

"I saw something a bit suspicious. I'm gonna go check it out." You muttered lowly. They looked at you questioningly. You had your Provisional Hero License so that you could take action if need be, and Thirteen knew that especially now you were no pushover.

"I understand. Call if you need anything."

With approval, you nodded and took off into the alleyway after the suspicious figure.

- - -

"Stop." You commanded lowly, tone stern yet soft simultaneously.

And they did stop. The dark clothed man turned, purple marred flesh coming into view, eyes heavy, and black hair tousled.

It is you.

"Dabi..." You whispered, eyes locking in his. Neither of you said anything immediately after that. The air was thick with tension, nearly strangling you with its weight.

"You... I didn't think you of all people would come back to Hosu." He stoically muttered. "Having fun playing hero (y/n)?"

His voice had shifted to a more crude and sarcastic tone. It really was him, the man who in the end had set you free. All this time, you had wondered what happened to him. Tears pricked the corners of your eyes.

"Dabi..." You started, voice shaky. "You're... You're okay..."

His eyes widened at your words. Truth be told, he was ready for a fight. He didn't expect you to have even cared what happened to him. All he could do was laugh it off.

"That's just like you." He huffed. "Your useless empathy is just going to land you in a lot of trouble again you dumbass."

It was weird how surreal it all felt. You two eventually resigned yourselves to just sit against the walls of the alleyway opposite to each other. Glancing up at him, you noticed a new scar formed along the top of his chest.

"Did Shigaraki do that to you?" You questioned with sorrowful eyes.

"Yeah, but that's it. That pale piece of shit couldn't keep up after I took off."

Pale piece of shit.

You had called Shigarki that one of the first times you met Dabi. It was funny to you how he still used the phrase now.

"So what are you doing in Hosu Dabi?"

"That's none of your business." He scoffed

"Hmm? Let me guess, you're the mysterious murderer who's reduced four pro heroes to ash over the past few months?"

"Why'd you ask the question if you already knew the answer?"

"Well, I wasn't sure. There were suspicions that it was Molten or someone else. But I remember you telling me about you admiration for Hero Killer Stain. It makes sense you'd go after heroes then." You stated plainly. "Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely reporting your name after this."

"I figured as much. Gotta lick the boots of that corrupt Heroes Association huh?"

"Till they're spotless." You chuckled in response. Your gaze shifted out towards the people walking by.

"(Y/n)?" Dabi called out for the blue.

"Hmm?"

"Are you happy?"

"... I am."

Dabi's face softened slightly at your response. He stood up quietly and pushed his hands into his coat pockets.

"We're enemies now, aren't you going to try and stop me?" He said. You shifted your gaze back up toward him, not moving from your place on the ground.

"Next time." You grinned. "Go."

Your choice of words forced the corners of his lips to curl up. He turned quickly and walked off back into the darkness.

"Next time we meet, I'm going to kill you." He solemnly swore.

"And next time we meet, I'm going to bring you to justice." You retorted softly.

And then he was gone, simple as that.

You sat there for awhile and contemplated if you had done the right thing. Well, maybe you didn't. It felt okay though, like you were repaying a debt you never thought you could. The sad truth of it all was that now you were a hero and he a villain.

But at that moment, in that alleyway, you were friends.