Darkness

A silly smile played on my lips, and the adrenaline taking its course in my blood set my feet soaring, till the same smile parted in a scream.

Having my head up in the clouds, my eyes never lowered to the ground. And as if acting as a reminder to be mindful of my path a think root caught one of my feet in its loop. And down I went, falling from my high to the damp forest floor.

I guess one does not become Superman after falling in love.

The small graze, oozing blood from my palm kept my steps slow and careful later on, but I couldn't hide away my smile.

The time lapse between the two worlds kept me away from concerned queries, and I entered the house without getting caught by any of the three who were still fast asleep.

And when I reached my room, I hastily entered the bath, and washed myself before changing into fresh clothes. The water remaining in my hair was still soaking the towel wrapped around it when I heard a knock.

I turned to the door, but did not immediately unlock it, and wondered who it was. The clock showed the time to be eleven minutes past three, and Margaret, who was always the first to rise, did so only around five, and even if it was John who was somehow up, he had rarely ever knocked, and most often yelled.

The knocking suddenly became urgent, but my gut told me not to near the door.
I was not exactly panicking, but neither was I calm.

I kept my silence, waiting for the person on the other side to speak when reaching the ends of their patience.

And the moment soon came.

"Open the door."

The voice was familiar, and an apathetic face came to my mind, but at the same instant it sounded unfamiliar with the hints of urgency that laced around the words.

"It is me Demeter, let me enter."

I gulped down, feeling strangely anxious, but moved to open the door for the goddess.

With a grimace she entered, looking around the room as if searching for what exactly I was busy with.

"I was pretending to be asleep thinking it was one of the housekeepers." I smiled and explained uncomfortable by how her eyes roamed.

The intent gaze then shifted to me. "Get ready."

My eyes might as well as bulged. "Already? Haven't we agreed that I will leave on Thursday?" Which was two days later.

"There's a change in plans, you have to leave now or the trip cannot be made." She bent down before my bed, and dragged out my packed bag.

But before she moved to hand it over to me, I asked. "Why did you knock, couldn't you come in without having me open the door for you?" I asked, intentionally sounding harsh.

Her hands dropped with a sigh, and held my bag in her left. "No god can enter your room using their powers."

My lips parted, but no words came out as I thought of what she said over and over again.

"I don't understand." I said a little later.

Her long, manicured nails dug into the strap. "Hades has set up a barrier around your room that does not allow any of the gods to enter by force."

"From when?" I asked taken aback to the point I unconsciously stepped back.

"Right after Zeus visited this house." Came the reply, but the swiftness to it heightened my sense of suspicion.

But I could not act on it on a hunch, and so decided to play a game. "How did you enter my room until now?"

"Your window was open." She did not explain further, and I assumed the restriction only worked when the room was completely closed of.