Chapter Fourteen

Suzanna woke up with a start. Her heart leapt inside of her chest. Today was the day! Tristan and Rose were to be wed. Suzanna beamed and eagerly scrambled out of bed.

Her heart plummeted just as quickly as it had leapt.

Today was the wedding, but Samuel and William had not returned. He promised he would be here, Suzanna told herself. Perhaps he had returned during the night. Suzanna tried not to think about what would happen if they had not returned.

The Duke of Adryrwen would be at the wedding and if Samuel was not there to protect her...

Suzanna shook her head. She was panicking for no reason. No anxiety until you find out whether Samuel and William are back, she ordered herself.

Instead, she decided to think about the wedding. Anticipation had seemed to hum in the air the entire week. The servants had worked tirelessly to prepare the ballroom, feast, and chambers for the guests who would need to stay for a few nights. The castle had never looked so stunning - it truly was to be a wedding fit for the King and Queen.

Suzanna's maidservant arrived a few minutes later, interrupting Suzanna from her daydreaming. She helped Suzanna into the dress that had been made specifically for the wedding. It was beautiful and formal, but not too stunning to distract from the bride. Her maidservant managed to tame her hair into an intricate bun, adorned with small, glittering pins. As soon as she was ready, Suzanna hurried out of her room. She could not wait to see Rose.

She was dashing down her hall when she nearly collided with her father.

"Oh, Father!" she gasped as she managed to halt and narrowly avoid running into him.

"Suzanna," he greeted with an amused smile.

"I am so sorry, I am on my way to see Rose but of course I did not mean to collide with you. Is this not the most exciting moment? I can hardly wait. Tristan and Rose must be so happy today has finally arrived. I am sure Rose will make the most beautiful bride. I think love is so wonderful. This dress made for me is so heavenly, I completely adore it. You look handsome, too, Father." Suzanna came to a crashing halt in her chatter.

Her father was grinning - that same smile all her family used when she was talking too much and too fast. "It is good to hear you sounding like yourself again, Suzy," her father murmured, pecking her on her forehead lovingly.

"What do you mean?"

"I have been worried about you. You have been so quiet the last few weeks; I cannot remember the last time you spoke so much. I am filled with gladness to hear your familiar bubble of conversation."

"I am excited," Suzanna answered somewhat lamely. She gave a little shrug of her shoulders.

"I know, we all are. It is a strange feeling to know one of my children is about to be married," her father said quietly.

"Only one, Father, and he will be living here," Suzanna comforted with a gentle smile.

"And another soon," he responded with a sad smile at Suzanna.

Unless I choose not to marry him.

Suzanna felt her father's thoughts were not too different to her own. Their talk the week before had stayed with Suzanna - she could choose another if she wished, and he would not be angry. Suzanna's emotions once again plummeted as she thought of the Duke and his impending arrival.

"Yes... well... I really should be going now," Suzanna stammered, unsure how to answer him. If he was hinting for more information, Suzanna did not think she could provide it for him.